Removing 6R80 for Converter Install - Write Up

BV600

Established Member
This is step by step how to on Removing the 6R80 to install a converter. I did this in about 4 hrs. with a friend. I'm not responsible for anything you mess up.
You will need Ford Mercon LV Fluid and some type of fluid pump to add fluid.

1-Unplug Battery
When removing the driveshaft you will have to reconnect to put the car in N and rotate the driveshaft.
2-Remove Mid-Pipe
Pretty simple connects to the headers and cat back.
3-Remove Driveshaft
Once again this is where you will have to put the car in N to turn the driveshaft and read all bolts.
4-Unplug all electrical connectors on Trans / Front O2 Connectors
There is a 2(?) connectors on the Passenger side. Also there are the plastic push pins that hold the harness in a couple places on the trans.
5-Remove the shifter cable
Located on the Driver side of trans and is 3 bolts.
6-Remove the trans cooler lines
Also located on the Driver side immediately forward of the shifter cable
7-Remove the starter
This is a little bit of a PITA. 3 Bolts the top one is a bastard.
8-Ensure you have a trans jack at this point
Not completely necessary yet but your starting to get into getting the trans out.
9-Remove the shield on the bottom of the trans to gain access to the flex plate.
There is also a rubber grommet/plug on the driver side midway on the trans if you want some more access. Not really necessary.
10-Remove the 4 flywheel to converter nuts.
Using the nice window you just created in step 9; you will have to turn the motor over via the crank pulley bolt to get access to all 4.
11-Remove the Trans mount located at the rear of the trans.
You should be using the trans jack about now.
12-Remove the bellhousing to motor bolts.
You may have to raise/lower the trans to gain access to the top ones. Some people get them from the top I got them all from bottom.

13-The trans has 2(?) dowel pins you will have to pull back and slightly angle the trans to the rear to drop.
Make sure the trans is free of all wiring, I know some are attached by those plastic push pins on top.
14-At this point your ready to remove the stock converter. Its actually in there pretty good and you will think that there are bolts/nuts holding it in.
This where it can get a little messy, most of the fluid will come from the converter. It helps to have the new one ready to on. Make sure you
are aligning the notches the on the converter with trans then push on and turn about 3x. Make sure that the converter is flush with the bell housing.
15-Reinstall in reverse order.
16-Start the car and let it idle to operating temp, run the trans through the gears and check the fluid. Add as necessary.
My converter was full, after running the car and checking fluid I didn't have to add any.

-Tips

a) Circle D uses bolts instead of nuts so make sure the holes on the converter are close to lining up with the flywheel holes before pushing the trans fully together.

b) Fill converter with fluid before installing. If you switching them fast enough you will make little to no mess and lose little fluid.

c) You will have to angle the trans when installing to clearance a couple areas.

d) I used a small pry bar to pull out on the stock converter (very little pressure).

e) Make sure you use Loctite on necessary bolts and correct TQ specs.

-----If anyone has any tips/tricks/pictures or see anything I left out or any corrections feel free to add.------

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread