Removed bad tint on the 5.0 with a steamer, anybody done this?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My friend has used this method on 3 of his cars and let me borrow his steamer with some pointers. Turned out being Very Easy, I had the rear window done in less than 15 minutes. There was some minor glue residue in some spots like the corners but running the steamer nozzle over the bare glass loosened it right up then a towel wipe of the liquid steam all gone... I thought it was gonna be a 2 hour process.

8.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
Wow wish I would of known this. I had to remove tint on a mustang one time and it took weeks and tons of chemicals to get rid of all the residue.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have not personally done it, but that's the recommended way. People pay good money to have tint removed, so you might be able to start a side business.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You can get one off amazon for like 22 bucks. I bought it to restore the foams in my S197 seat swap. Worked like a champ. Still use it

Machdup1

Established Member
That is my go to method. There are a couple of tricks:

Allow the steamer to fully warm up before starting.

Take your time. The slower you go the less glue is left over.

Start at a corner.

Put towels or plastic over anything that doesn’t like water.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Used my wife's garment steamer to remove the horrible tint job on my Cobra. Worked great and no residue left behind.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I just used our garment steamer a few weeks ago to remove the original tint from my ranger that I had put on back in 05'. It works great, I was done in 15 minutes.

Honestly I thought more people knew about this, it's all over youtube.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I have not personally done it, but that's the recommended way. People pay good money to have tint removed, so you might be able to start a side business.
As I was driving home from work today I seriously considered putting an ad on Craigslist. Tinting places charge $150-200 to remove rear window tint..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
And never pay a place to remove door tint, that can be done in 5 minutes or less with a steamer. Some rear windows are awkward position wise and if your lazy just fork over the benjamins...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I just used our garment steamer a few weeks ago to remove the original tint from my ranger that I had put on back in 05'. It works great, I was done in 15 minutes.

Honestly I thought more people knew about this, it's all over youtube.
There's also the trashbag method, many tint shops do it that way, more time consuming than steam though.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
There's also the trashbag method, many tint shops do it that way, more time consuming than steam though.

I've seen that, my tint guy removed some old tint off the hatch of my 86' GT that way when I got it a couple years ago. This was before I knew about using the steam.

Users who are viewing this thread