Remove the Hood Blanket?

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Ok, I know there are a few people out there who did this awhile back... now that some time has passed, has anyone who's removed the hood blanket noticed any problems?

Just curious... I don't listen to AM Radio, so I was thinking of just taking the thing off and being done with it...

Thanks in advance!

:beer:

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I prob. would not do it. I heard once that if you take it off the heat from the engine will overtime discolor the paint on the topside of your hood.

That would be bad.:nono:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Take it out. It won't affect the paint at all. The sun gets it alot hotter than the engine does. My F150 didn't come with one, even though some did, and the paint is perfect over two years later. And that hood is aluminum, which will absorb WAY more engine heat than the composite material on the Musatngs.

It's just for noise, that's all. I'd take mine out in my Mustang but I have the holes in the underside of the hood from Ford "fixing" it in a recall.

Last edited:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
If you take it out you will loose your AM radio reception.The antenna is in the blanket.
I took mine off on my 96 black cobra with a KenneBell Blower right under the hood. and no effect on the paint.

Jim V.

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
If you take it out you will loose your AM radio reception.The antenna is in the blanket.

Jim V.

Looks like I won't be doing that. I have to be able to hear Jim Rome....:rolleyes:

03DOHC

Established Member

Jim V.
Thanks Jim, I would've never thought that!:thumbsup: I WAS going to remove the blanket, but not anymore! I need my talk radio.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Lightnings come with no hood blanket. I have seen no issues with the paint so far. Is that strange, the AM antenna in the blanket?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
Lightnings come with no hood blanket. I have seen no issues with the paint so far. Is that strange, the AM antenna in the blanket?

Look under the hood,,The braided wire on pass side rear..It is the ground for the antenna. On my 96 i tried other ways to ground it with no success.

Jim V.

Cobra'03

Established Member

Look under the hood,,The braided wire on pass side rear..It is the ground for the antenna. On my 96 i tried other ways to ground it with no success.

Jim V.

Jim, are you sure? I believe the hood blanket is grounded because it has foil on one side to act as a shield (technically, a Faraday shield) since the composite hood has no shielding effect. If it were an antenna, it would need a line to the radio, and the ground strap is not it. Just my EE background squeaking, but I checked a shop manual and found no connection from the hood blanket to the radio, while there is a clear one from the fender antenna. Plus, given the wavelengths of AM radio, a big surface like the hood blanket would not be good reception. Cliff Claven, out. ;-)
\
Now, Jim is quite right in that AM radio noise will be greater without the hood blanket.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
I was of the understanding that the blanket was simply for RF interference shielding. The engine itself throws off some radio interference, and AM radio is susceptible to that. I didn't think the antenna was in the blanket...

Of course one way to prove this theory one way or another - remove the blanket, turn on just the accessories (not the engine) and see if you still get AM radio - if you don't, then the antenna is most likely in the blanket... then turn on the engine... if the signal goes away, then the blanket is probably just for RF shielding...

But it looks like (for the most part) the consensus is that if you don't care about AM radio, then you can get rid of the blanket!

Thanks everyone!

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by dmreitz
I was of the understanding that the blanket was simply for RF interference shielding. The engine itself throws off some radio interference, and AM radio is susceptible to that. I didn't think the antenna was in the blanket...

Of course one way to prove this theory one way or another - remove the blanket, turn on just the accessories (not the engine) and see if you still get AM radio - if you don't, then the antenna is most likely in the blanket... then turn on the engine... if the signal goes away, then the blanket is probably just for RF shielding...

But it looks like (for the most part) the consensus is that if you don't care about AM radio, then you can get rid of the blanket!

Thanks everyone!

You guys are both right..When the motor was off the Radio Worked.I assumed it was the Antenna..

Jim V.:uh oh:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I believe the hood blanket is grounded because it has foil on one side to act as a shield (technically, a Faraday shield) since the composite hood has no shielding effect.
Wow, you really do learn something everyday, I love this place :)

edslowey

Established Member
I've had the blanket off for at least a month now, and had no problems. But, I also don't listen to AM radio. Come to think of it, I don't even turn the stereo ON, since all it does is interfere with the great exhaust and blower music coming from the car...:thumbsup:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
This forum is full of great and knowledgable people.

I learned something today about AM radios RF interferance and hood blankets.

Thanks guys.

Be safe out there and give those bowties their daily spanking. :)

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Remove the Hood Blanket?

No. For the above mentioned reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread