remove hood insulation 5lbs save and better cooling

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
It's not for sound deadening. It's called a Fire Blanket, the plastic push pins melt and the blanket drops downd to smother a fire.

By the time the plastic pins melt and the insulation/fire blanket drops, the cars going to be toast. I don't see this helping save your car if it catches on fire under the hood. Plenty of Fords have burned to the ground from bad cruise control wires. they had the hood insulation/fire blanket and it didn't stop anything.
Last week The damn thing didn't help FivePointOh 2012 Mustang GT.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
By the time the plastic pins melt and the insulation/fire blanket drops, the cars going to be toast. I don't see this helping save your car if it catches on fire under the hood. Plenty of Fords have burned to the ground from bad cruise control wires. they had the hood insulation/fire blanket and it didn't stop anything.
Last week The damn thing didn't help FivePointOh 2012 Mustang GT.

I didn't design the f*cking thing but thats what it's for, not sound deadening as mentioned.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

I did that a year and half ago. 5lbs not sure on the weight I did it for the heat.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a quick way to get 5lbs off the hood?

i know the insulation is there to stop the fire getting to the occupants quickly, but the aftermarket hoods i want dont have it either so hell with it.

anyone complete this mod yet on a 2011+?

THoughts appreciated.

twistedneck

Established Member
I pulled the liner off my car last night.

1. its not 5lbs - more like 3. not as thick as the trunk liner.
2. its got the drab brown base coat in the center, but most of it is ingot silver like the car.
3. My friend dropped one of the plastic pins into the abyss under the hood and it was never found again! (add that to a few other nuts and bolts that are lost forever in there).
4. its slightly louder and that was good - i deleted my sonotube and this sounds much better and more race.
5. made a bit more room for the air filter that is slightly hitting hood after my boss intake install.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Please tell me you are joking? If so I feel really bad for that guy.

No that's what the guy said. He's holding out that it is a defect and Ford will cover it (like the ABS computers on the F150's a few years back I guess). Otherwise he's screwed.

kona12

Established Member
Just stop eating cheese burgers for a week the day ur goin to track there goes ur 5lbs LOL..

twistedneck

Established Member
observation.. i need to stop eating cheese burgers for a year.

oh. its WAY louder under the hood w/ that insulation gone. i'm very happy about that.

Users who are viewing this thread