removal of ws6jjp lower (caged) pulley assembly

smith876

Established Member
Hi all, I have a 6# lower with the cage (that ws6jjp put together a number of years ago). I am having a tough time removing the black disc that is over the three bolts, any thoughts on a simple means to remove this?

Searching a bit I found a few posts where there was a recommendation to tap the disc so removal would be easy. Unfortuantely that was posted a few months after I installed so the disc is not tapped. Any other options or ideas you can think of?

ZTmooaNm.jpg

Thank you so much!

cj428mach

Established Member
Hi all, I have a 6# lower with the cage (that ws6jjp put together a number of years ago). I am having a tough time removing the black disc that is over the three bolts, any thoughts on a simple means to remove this?

Searching a bit I found a few posts where there was a recommendation to tap the disc so removal would be easy. Unfortuantely that was posted a few months after I installed so the disc is not tapped. Any other options or ideas you can think of?

ZTmooaNm.jpg

Thank you so much!

Doesn't it install the same as a stock lower?

You're a lucky person, I'd love to get my hands on one of his 4lber's.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Can you drill and tap it while it's on the car?
Mine was drilled and tapped by the man himself but I have never taken it off.
If you have to get a right angle drill then maybe do that. The area behind the plate shouldn't be effected by the metal shavings and you can clean it up once off. Better to take your time than risk damage even to the beautiful finish.

Good luck!

SV

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
The problem is the tri-bar piece tries to continue to tighten itself, that's why the black disc is there, to prevent that from happening. What happens is its putting a twisting pressure there adding resistance making it near impossible for that black disc to slide back out. The way I did mine was tack weld on 2 nuts opposite each other to assist pulling that piece out...Instead of drilling for threads. It was easier to get the mig welder tip in there rather than a drill. Once you get it out knock the 2 nuts off and clean off any extra weld then you can properly drill the disc using a drill press or whatever.

smith876

Established Member
interesting idea - thank you!

With the nuts welded in place did you simply use a needle-nose pliers to pull the disc out? Or did you setup some sort of puller using bolts and the tri-bar piece?

appreciate the insight - thank you again
-josh

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
It's been so long that I don't remember exactly what I did but yeah, I used a makeshift puller using the welded on nuts (and some bolts) to help pull the black disc out. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, like I said it's been awhile ...lol

Tractionless1

Established Member
The problem is the tri-bar piece tries to continue to tighten itself, that's why the black disc is there, to prevent that from happening. What happens is its putting a twisting pressure there adding resistance making it near impossible for that black disc to slide back out. The way I did mine was tack weld on 2 nuts opposite each other to assist pulling that piece out...Instead of drilling for threads. It was easier to get the mig welder tip in there rather than a drill. Once you get it out knock the 2 nuts off and clean off any extra weld then you can properly drill the disc using a drill press or whatever.

Copy/paste to my diary and why I replaced the harmonic balancer, inner belt, pullies, tensioner, front main seal etc. when I put the beast on.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
this post is a couple months old, and this is a longshot, but...any of you fine gents feel like selling your lower pulley setup? i need one for my setup (see my sig) that will last!

Users who are viewing this thread