Remembering Pearl Harbor.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt that there’s any members here that were present when we were attacked 78 years ago today, but you may have known relatives or friends of friends who had firsthand accounts of that day’s event. I hold a soft spot in my heart for the Officers, Sailors and Civilians who were lost that day, and although I can’t claim that I joined the Navy in ‘84 due to this tragedy, I became increasingly aware of lives lost in battle at sea.

On this day in 1941, my Mother-in-law was in elementary school and witnessed the Japanese fighters flying in low over the island. Some planes were so close as to view the pilots inside. In one instance, a pilot waved a warning to the teachers/students in view to get down, or take cover. Fortunately, that side of the island wasn’t the target, so no loss of life occurred.

Never forget that this attack dragged our country into a very bloody, and expensive war, and resulted in (globally) approximately 80 million lives lost.

big dad

Established Member
Back in the early 80s I was wrenching at a Buick/Pontiac dealership and a guy came in with his car and I
noticed he had Pearl Harbor survivor plates on it and I asked him about it, he said he was on the Arizona to which I said HOLY SHIT how did you survive? He claimed he had just got up and came topside to see what all the noise was about and the next thing he knew was being blown off the ship into the water. He said he lost a lot of shipmates that day.

Being as I was in the Navy during Vietnam I've had the pleasure of talking to some other Navy vets who served during WWII and it is fascinating to hear their stories about the conflict.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Certainly a day to remember, even for those of us too young to have been there...
Thankful to all that have served in the military protecting the USA!
Amen brother!

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Our generations have to experience terrorists, Their generation experienced war. A horrific day in history, that absolutely should be remembered. Thank you for the post.

Thank you to ANYONE that has served to protect our country.

Users who are viewing this thread