Relocating to So. Cal, registration ?

numbnutz

Established Member
Would I need to register my cars when they expire in my current state or within so many days of being in Cali? Thanks guys..

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
You have 10 days from when you establish residency (receive mail, start work, etc) in the state.

numbnutz

Established Member
No military. Damn, my registration just expired on one of my vehicles last week that I renewed. So i would have to pay again for the same vehicle when I get out there Oct 1?

I heard horror stories about how expensive it is to register cars to Cali from out of state. I went on CA. dmv (i think was the site) and for my 13' 5.0 based on what I paid and the state sales tax I paid here and it would be $305 to register out there. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
No military. Damn, my registration just expired on one of my vehicles last week that I renewed. So i would have to pay again for the same vehicle when I get out there Oct 1?

I heard horror stories about how expensive it is to register cars to Cali from out of state. I went on CA. dmv (i think was the site) and for my 13' 5.0 based on what I paid and the state sales tax I paid here and it would be $305 to register out there. Does that sound right?

Unfortunately, yeah sounds about right, maybe a bit on the high side.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
and this is the rules for how soon you have to register,

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33.htm

Current Registered Owners

If a registered owner is the same (no ownership change) and the nonresident vehicle is:

Currently registered out-of-state, fees become due on the date that occurs first. The date:
– Residency is established.

– Out-of-state registration expires.

– Of entry, if the vehicle is furnished by a nonresident to a California resident for regular use in California.

– Of entry, if the vehicle is a commercial vehicle (unless registered as an auto in the prior state).

– Of entry, if the owner is a nonresident individual or business having an established place of business in California, and the nonresident vehicle is being regularly used in California (CVC §6702).

– Of first operation, if the vehicle was not driven, moved, towed, or left standing (parked) on any California highway.

Not currently registered or proof of current registration cannot be provided, fees become due on the date that occurs later. The date:
– Of entry.

– After the out-of-state registration provided expired.

The registered owner must apply for registration or planned nonoperation (PNO) prior to the vehicle's out-of-state registration expiration to avoid fees and/or penalties.

Note: A Planned Non-Operation Certification (REG 102) form, available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg102.pdf, must be completed by the registered owner certifying that the vehicle will not be operated, moved, towed, or parked upon any California highway causing registration fees to become due.

nxhappy

Established Member
just curious as to why you are moving to this Communist state ?

numbnutz

Established Member
Mainly weather and wife and I have good job opportunities.

Spend a winter in Chicago and you'll want to kill yourself.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What part of socal?

That seems pretty expensive but at least unlike some other states, its not based on purchase price of the car (or estimated value, which could go either way).

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
OP $305 isn't that bad, sorry to hear your moving to another state that has BS gun laws but I'm sure you are used to that seeing as how you are in Illinois. At least the weather will be nice!

$305 is hell of expensive i just renewd my tags here 07 Tahoe and 04 Cobra was $90.00

And you also probably live close to the middle of nowhere if your location is correct...

nxhappy

Established Member
Mainly weather and wife and I have good job opportunities.

Spend a winter in Chicago and you'll want to kill yourself.

hope that job pays 80% more than what ur making now, cause LA is ridiculously expensive. I spoke to a guy that lived in Chicago about the same thing at the airport. I pretty much changed his mind about this shit hole...

numbnutz

Established Member
We'll be moving to the Rancho Cucamonga /Corona area.

Yes, we're both getting healthy pay increases and wife is also getting a nice monthly car allowance.

I'm very familiar with CA. Real estate. Wife & I usually go out there yearly as she has family all over LA.

nxhappy- Why you still there if you hate it that much?

Last edited:

5.8 Venom

Established Member
We'll be moving to the Rancho Cucamonga /Corona area.

Yes, we're both getting healthy pay increases and wife is also getting a nice monthly car allowance.

I'm very familiar with CA. Real estate. Wife & I usually go out there yearly as she has family all over LA.

nxhappy- Why you still there if you hate it that much?

Man there is like 3 cities and 25 miles between those two Cites. Is it still up in the air?

I am little father south on I-15, but both Cities are good, RC has a little more to offer for wine/dine and entertainment.

numbnutz

Established Member
Should have specified, between those 2 cities. I'm 100% , my wife is flying to LA next Wednesday to meet with a customer she would be working with. Pretty sure it's going to happen.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Rancho is a nice city to live in. A lot of nice places to eat and Victoria gardens for shopping. There's a place called Ways car registration services in rancho where you can register your cars without the hassle of going to the stupid packed DMV. Makes things a lot easier.

Southern California is a beautiful place to live in and the weather year around is awesome, can't beat it. Good luck with everything.

Users who are viewing this thread