Reliable TOB?

BlackedSVT

Established Member
My first post here was about my TOB going bad after being replaced 1k miles before I purchased the car. Now, maybe 500 miles later and a new FRPP TOB install, I'm hearing that faint whistling that dissapears when I engage the clutch.

Why is this happening and is there a TOB that can handle about 480-500 hp?

BTW I have a SPEC 3 clutch, FRPP TOB, and the regular input shaft, dunno if any of that comes into play

Sagittaria

Established Member
Sounds like a non properly adjusted clutch... if it's whistling without the clutch in... then your TOB is still spinning 24/7. It should only touch when you engage the clutch.

Adjust it right (to where the TOB has say 1/8" to 1/4" of clearance from the PP fingers)... you can see this through the inspection cover access and a flashlight... And if it's "loose" then a LDC freeplay mod may be in order... it's just a spring that puts tension on the cable to take the slack out of the cable when it's fully disengaged... which also keeps your TOB off the PP.

BlackedSVT

Established Member
Thanks, I'm not driveline savvy, but I'm going to print this out and bring it to my mechanic and have them do it

Sagittaria

Established Member
The cable also has to be adjustable some how as well. Adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, triple/double hook quadrant etc.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Ford TOB's are "Constant Velocity" bearings. Meaning they should be spinning all the time. If your clutch is not properly adjusted, it will wear out the TOB.

By adding 1/8" - 1/4" between the TOB and PP, you negate this thus wearing out your TOB quicker!!!! You DO NOT want to do this!

Think of it this way, you shift your car at 6500 RPM's and your TOB is spinning right along with it. No problem.

Now you shift your car at 6500 RPM's and your TOB is stopped because it is not touching the PP. Now your TOB goes from 0 to 6500 RPM in an instant. All this does is heat the bearing surface up and wear it out much sooner.

The "LDC Free Play Mod" is a hoax at best.

The factory clutch/pawl quadrant has a spring that puts tension on the TOB. You want to "Mimic" this same tension on your aftermarket TOB. This is usually done with a firewall adjuster. A firewall adjuster is NOT FOR ADJUSTING PEDAL HEIGHT!!!!! It is to allow adjustment due to the differences in aftermarket clutches.

Hope this helps, Kevin

joeys01drptp

Established Member
Ford TOB's are "Constant Velocity" bearings. Meaning they should be spinning all the time. If your clutch is not properly adjusted, it will wear out the TOB.

By adding 1/8" - 1/4" between the TOB and PP, you negate this thus wearing out your TOB quicker!!!! You DO NOT want to do this!

Think of it this way, you shift your car at 6500 RPM's and your TOB is spinning right along with it. No problem.

Now you shift your car at 6500 RPM's and your TOB is stopped because it is not touching the PP. Now your TOB goes from 0 to 6500 RPM in an instant. All this does is heat the bearing surface up and wear it out much sooner.

The "LDC Free Play Mod" is a hoax at best.

The factory clutch/pawl quadrant has a spring that puts tension on the TOB. You want to "Mimic" this same tension on your aftermarket TOB. This is usually done with a firewall adjuster. A firewall adjuster is NOT FOR ADJUSTING PEDAL HEIGHT!!!!! It is to allow adjustment due to the differences in aftermarket clutches.

Hope this helps, Kevin

Not trying to hijack this thread, but you seem very knowledgable so I will ask you this: What if there is no squeak in the bearing until the pedal is partially engaged, and then goes away with full engagement?

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
How do you guys measure the pounds of pressure on the pressure plate? are you guys using some kind of tool or just eye balling it?

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I have a manual spring gauge but you can estimated it with light pressure (two fingers pressing forward on the fork)then take slack out of the cable.(as per pro motion)

Users who are viewing this thread