Reliability and Durability of 94/95 VS 96-98

prez1967

Established Member
Long time SN95 fan, considering making the jump. I currently own a 1993 GT.

My biggest concern is actually fitting into the chassis. I'm 6'6" and currently run Recaro SRDs in my '93 to make more space. After sitting in a 00R, I realize the SN95 cars could work for me so here I am.

Im now concerned with what I know vs the unknown. Im pretty confident in the 302 motors. I know what to expect give/take. How are the 4v Motors when they get into the 100K+? I know they make considerable power out of the box, and I'd be looking for something I could potentially daily drive so other than bolt ons, I'm not really looking to build a monster here.

Suspension and brakes are essentially the same from what I can tell. T5 vs T45? Interior quality changes over the years?

I drive 28 miles each way to work. Looking for something cheap/fun that'll put me in something special daily and not cost an arm and a leg to keep on the road.

Any input would be appreciated.

(links to existing threads also appreciated... couldnt find much searching)

MysticChaos

Established Member
I daily drive my 96 mystic with the 4v 4.6 mated to a t56 and I'm pushing 150k still goin strong.

When I was younger I had a 95 cobra with the 5.0 in it, but I honestly think I prefer 4.6 fwiw.

As far as interior goes, 98 was the only year with any differences and those consisted of taking away the dash pod clock and adding cup holders where the ash tray used to be.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
A 94-95 cobra can't touch the RPMs of the 4.6 4V engines, but what you get is torque instead. Ive owned both cars as well, my 96 Cobra built/blown is fun, but my bolt-on cammed 94 Cobra w/eibach suspension package was way more fun IMO just for daily driving. I also prefer the feel of a T5 94-95 over the T45 96-98, the shifts feel a lot tighter. 94-95 Cobra to me are a helluva lot simpler to work on, and seeing that you have owned a 93 GT it might be more your style. 94-95 Cobras were rated at a poor 240hp, but in reality is was more like 270hp :)

As far as brakes go, the brakes on my 96 are shit compared to my 94, and both are factory.

This is just my .02 it just boils down to what exactly you are looking for. I would suggest finding someone with each style and drive them for yourself!

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I currently have a 98 cobra after coming from a built 1990 n/a GT (331 H/C/I). I know you're looking to compare the 94-95 to the 96-98 but my fox had good power, cobra brake upgrade and other goodies. The '98 out of the box is way better. The power feels pretty good actually after throwing a set of gears in (I currently have 3.73's, great for DD duty). As far as interior goes its all plastic anyways so I don't see much difference there. My Cobra has a bunch of suspension stuff done to it now so the ride isn't plush by any means. When it was stock it felt good but the rear end would bounce around on bumps and such. Basically, I think the two cars themselves (interior, ride quality, looks) will be similar, but the 96-98 will be more fun stock for stock after a set of gears.

Last edited:

bumsoil

Established Member
i have a 96 cobra with alot of MM suspension and 4.10's. my close buddy has a 94 with about the same mileage and he constantly gripes about how he wants my motor.
the 5.0's are great, i have one in my BMW race car. but the 4.6 is a more capable platform and better stock for stock.

prez1967

Established Member
A 94-95 cobra can't touch the RPMs of the 4.6 4V engines, but what you get is torque instead. Ive owned both cars as well, my 96 Cobra built/blown is fun, but my bolt-on cammed 94 Cobra w/eibach suspension package was way more fun IMO just for daily driving. I also prefer the feel of a T5 94-95 over the T45 96-98, the shifts feel a lot tighter. 94-95 Cobra to me are a helluva lot simpler to work on, and seeing that you have owned a 93 GT it might be more your style. 94-95 Cobras were rated at a poor 240hp, but in reality is was more like 270hp :)

As far as brakes go, the brakes on my 96 are shit compared to my 94, and both are factory.

This is just my .02 it just boils down to what exactly you are looking for. I would suggest finding someone with each style and drive them for yourself!

All 96+ Cobras have Hydroboost Brakes correct?

Its been years since I've driven a Mod Motor'd Mustang. Its hard getting me out of my comfort zone, I'm the kind of guy that'll stop going to a restaurant if they take my favorite food off the menu. But I've always been drawn to the Mod Motor for its higher RPM power (from what I've read).

Hopefully I can get out there this weekend and find some cars local.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
My biggest gripe about the mod motor is these f'n IMRC's. I'm going through the process of having to delete them and get a tune... something that is a non-issue in the pushrod motor.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
All 96+ Cobras have Hydroboost Brakes correct?

Its been years since I've driven a Mod Motor'd Mustang. Its hard getting me out of my comfort zone, I'm the kind of guy that'll stop going to a restaurant if they take my favorite food off the menu. But I've always been drawn to the Mod Motor for its higher RPM power (from what I've read).

Hopefully I can get out there this weekend and find some cars local.

A built pushrod will turn RPM's the same as a Mod motor. Mod's don't make any power up top stock either. Unless you're talking coyote, but even then its still around 7500rpm, which isn't unheard of on a pushrod 5.0 based motor.

thumper

Established Member
I vote 94-95, but I've always hated any version of a OHC motor, 2 or 4 valve. My 94 cobra had 220,000 before I swaped to a newer motor. The new one is an aluminum block but it still uses pushrods.

Users who are viewing this thread