Regretting taking new job

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Been with my new employer 7 weeks now. The new job excitement quickly wore off. The job description was spot on, but the inefficiency of operations and having to fix others mistakes is wearing on me already.

I'm honestly filled with regret. I'm pushing forward, because the pay is decent and their is room for growth. I found that turnover in this position has been high the last couple years. I understand now why people get fed up with things.

Ever take a job, and come to soon wish you hadn't?

Thanks for letting me rant.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Sure i have. I found a new job and left on good terms. I did not complain i did not like it because down here, there are thousands of oil field workers out of a job(i was laid off multiple times). Some have lost their homes and more. I was always greatful to be working.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Almost everywhere you go though. The ones that are awesome are usually hard to get in.

About to make a swap over to the railroad side of management. I've heard a lot of good and bad. Mostly guys hating the 24/7 on call or working 60 hours a week. 60 hours for me is a break lol. Due to the pay, bonus and benefits...i'll suck it up. Unless my wife gets a BA job after she finishes her Masters Degree. Then i'll stay home or get a part time job.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm on year 19 with my current employer, I'm pretty much on the downside of my working career with a little less than eighteen years to go before retirement. I just hope they will be around until then...

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't know that a job could be had without some kind of issues. Kind of like life, it's all in the attitude.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm on year 19 with my current employer, I'm pretty much on the downside of my working career with a little less than eighteen years to go before retirement. I just hope they will be around until then...
18 myself, and hopefully I can bail in 7 years.
To the OP, I always told my kids, you need to enjoy going to work even if the pay scale is less. From there you may grow.

bigblue95z

Established Member
Walking into a company that you can tell doesn't quite have their shit together, to me, means I have tremendous opportunity to drive change, innovation, and automation. Gives plenty of mobility opportunity. That vs a place with their process down and efficient.... Then you're relegated to just doing your 'job/task' with not much opportunity to shine.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I know the feeling man. I made a move about 5 months ago and setup a great pipeline (I'm in software sales). I was setup to have a killer year ($220k +) and I was downsized. The region was reorganized and my territory was split 5 ways and my accounts were given to the more tenured reps. At least you have a job right now, be thankful for that. I'm on unemployment now and a month of that isn't equal to what I clear in two weeks on my normal salary.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'd look at your position as a positive. If the place needs improvement and you think you can improve it, then its your time to shine. Sounds like a potentially quick advancement at the new job.

Blown 89

Established Member
Take it as a challenge man. I'm in the business of buying companies that need fixing, doing just that, then selling them for a profit so I understand that it's stressful as hell.

If you don't like it find another job. There are millions of jobs int his country so there's not point in going to one that you don't like.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Avoid job advice, woman advice, financial advice, parenting advice, or just about anything non-SVT related on this forum.

That being said, I always give advice that there are no perfect opportunities....just opportunities. There is risk taking one......there is risk not taking one. If you wait for a perfect opportunity, be prepared to wait a long time.

On the flip side, I was on a job for 18 months that had serious safety and environmental violations. I should have left after 18 days, but was too inexperienced to realize the severity of my mistake taking the job. [Financial Advice WARNING] It is always good to keep an emergency fund to allow you to have the freedom of being temporarily unemployed.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Almost everywhere you go though. The ones that are awesome are usually hard to get in.

About to make a swap over to the railroad side of management. I've heard a lot of good and bad. Mostly guys hating the 24/7 on call or working 60 hours a week. 60 hours for me is a break lol. Due to the pay, bonus and benefits...i'll suck it up. Unless my wife gets a BA job after she finishes her Masters Degree. Then i'll stay home or get a part time job.

I was on call 24/7 for 8 years at my previous job. Never again.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I started a new job 7 weeks ago, the place was a disaster. I love it, I got to go in and change pretty much everything and it is now running pretty smooth. It is no where near a finished project and I am finding new things everyday that require attention so I am always busy.

Today one of my workers told me that he can now see that I actually care about my job and wasn't just going through the motions which made me pretty happy. My biggest problem is the bureaucracy because I am the type of person that makes things happen at a face pace but I am slowed down because everything is council based and must be approved.

CV355

_
Established Member
I get that feeling when I wake up in the morning.

"What kind of dumb****ery am I going to have to deal with today, and what's stopping me from lighting my desk on fire and walking out?"

c4jt321.png

Users who are viewing this thread