Redneck cruising in the Shelby !

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Well, we decided to go for a ride in the Shelby yesterday evening for some ice cream. It was around 6pm. We were about 2 miles from the house. Cruising in 4th gear on the hillside, doing about 50, when a deer jumped out of the thick pines right next to the road. On the brakes HARD with a slight swerve at the end netted us just missing the deer by less than a foot..

After that emotional rollercoaster, we only went about a mile down the road to see this .........................

SU1HLTIwMTEwNDIzLTAwMDAyLmpwZw.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTEwNDIzLTAwMDAzLmpwZw.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTEwNDIzLTAwMDA0LmpwZw.jpg

At this point we were 3 miles from the house and nearly totaled the vehicle twice with venison AND beef.. LOL. We strongly considered turning around and going home, but the ice cream craving overcame that idea !!!

I now know how Greg felt when he hit the deer at the track.. lol.. Well, almost.. We just missed the deer.. Denice saw the cows first and said... "UHHHH, you might want to slow down to miss the herd of cows in the road ".. hahaha.. Couldn't wait to get a phone pic.. lol.. Took it with a BlackBerry Torch 9800..

Nothing like living in the country. I'm really thinking about selling or swapping the Shelby for a truck !

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
JR, imagine how the guys felt that used to race on the roads up there at Watkins Glen! I wonder how many race cars were totaled by bovine spectators?

Glad you took evasive maneuvers and missed the deer. And when you want to hone those skills, I'll enter you in an HPDE1 down here. You totally could have blown thru that whole herd with a little zig-zag. :eek:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
thats funny. glad you did not hit the deer nor the cows.lol.

Yeah, we are too.. I am seriously thinking about selling or swapping it. Every time I take it out, which is not often, it's like a magnet for wildlife. I have to bob and swerve around all of the critters. I like to think I'm a good driver, but sooner or later, the critters are gonna win !.. lol...

Maybe I'm just honing my road course skills, subconsciously. I've always been a straight line racer. haha..

The car is a lot of fun, but the road conditions up here REALLY suck..I have to stay in 1st and 2nd gear the first mile and a half in any direction of my house, just to not beat up on the car from the crappy roads.

Go figure.. I'm in the paving business too.. lol... Our State's budget is in the toilet, and doesn't look like there is much available for road improvements..

Who's got a nice 4X4 truck they want to trade?

05Redfire

Established Member
HEHE my parents live in Sprakers, NY (up in the mountains behind Cobleskill) and there is still dirt roads around them.

The one time I took my car up when I visited them it stayed parked in the driveway the whole week.

There is cattle and horses galore around them, but the only wild life I have had to dodge is some wild turkeys and some domesticated chickens lookin for food in the road.

Last edited:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
HEHE my parents live in Sprakers, NY (up in the mountains behind Cobleskill) and there is still dirt roads around them.

The one time I took my car up when I visited them it stayed parked in the driveway the whole week.

There is cattle and horses galore around them, but the only wild life I have had to dodge is some wild turkeys and some domesticated chickens lookin for food in the road.

I live on a hard packed dirt road. I can't take the car out for 2 days, after a rain. True story ! Don't know what I was thinking when I bought another hotrod.. An F-150 Raptor would do just fine up here !

Even the main roads are not good. It would be nice to "play", but too many bumps... Not bad at cruising speeds, just play speeds.:rockon:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Trade you my Jeep for the Shelby straight up. You can bomb down all the dirt roads you want and take it pretty much anywhere a 4 wheeler can go and more. Plus the front bumper should take care of those errant deer quite well :beer:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Trade you my Jeep for the Shelby straight up. You can bomb down all the dirt roads you want and take it pretty much anywhere a 4 wheeler can go and more. Plus the front bumper should take care of those errant deer quite well :beer:

Sweet ! lol.. We already have an SUV. We love it. 2008 Pathfinder LE. I jus really need a truck.

I bought Cody a truck a couple years ago. We used that for any "homeowner" needs. Cody is enguaged and has very recently moved out.. SOOOO..... A truck may need to be in our future. Might as well be a fun truck, though.. A Raptor would serve dual purposes !! :rockon:

flattrack53

Established Member
Yeah, we are too.. I am seriously thinking about selling or swapping it. Every time I take it out, which is not often, it's like a magnet for wildlife. I have to bob and swerve around all of the critters. I like to think I'm a good driver, but sooner or later, the critters are gonna win !.. lol...

Maybe I'm just honing my road course skills, subconsciously. I've always been a straight line racer. haha..

The car is a lot of fun, but the road conditions up here REALLY suck..I have to stay in 1st and 2nd gear the first mile and a half in any direction of my house, just to not beat up on the car from the crappy roads.

Go figure.. I'm in the paving business too.. lol... Our State's budget is in the toilet, and doesn't look like there is much available for road improvements..

It doesnt matter what you drive or where you drive. There are critters everywhere. Two years ago my dad hit a deer at summit point in his shelby at over 135mph. This was after the car was cleaned off. I am just glad the deer blew completly apart and nothing went into the windshield.
DSCN0538.jpg

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Cattle are beyond stupid. I got stuck behind one once as I was coming up on a light in a small town. The Cow stopped on the line, looked to the left and right, then proceeded to cross the intersection. My GF, now wife and i just lost it in the car. It was hysterical.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Cattle are beyond stupid. I got stuck behind one once as I was coming up on a light in a small town. The Cow stopped on the line, looked to the left and right, then proceeded to cross the intersection. My GF, now wife and i just lost it in the car. It was hysterical.

I know.. They can be funny Tim. What I did not take a picture(up close) of, was a bull with a large set of horns. Denice was nervous he was gonna ram us. lol.. Especially because the car is Eltoro Red !! lol...

I grew up on a dairy farm. I know cows too well..lol.. They are gonna get me back for all the times I had to artificially inseminate them...haha.. Not a fun job. You wind up with your face about a half inch from their turd cutter :fart:.., which make the whole process :bs:..

Oh well. We had one cow, OODLES, that would let us ride on her back like a horse while we corral'd the rest for milking.. She was OLD ! I wouldn't trade farming for anything. LOOOOONG hours, 7 days a week, $2.00 per hr. AHHH.. Loved it !!! I really did. We had a lot of fun. Makes a person appreciate a normal job a lot more, and gives good work ethic..

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
They are gonna get me back for all the times I had to artificially inseminate them...haha.. Not a fun job.

When I lived in WA State there were several Feed Lots and Dairys around with over 100K head. A friend of ours had someone come out and inseminate one of his cows when we were there and all I could say was that I am glad I will never be doing that in my lifetime. The guy made great money doing it though.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yeah. That is never any fun. Did you hit one at Summit? We were just lucky it only messed up sheet metal and nothing else.

I hit a groundhog on my bike there once, and dodged a deer both there and at Pocono years ago.
But a few years ago my friend Harry wasn't as lucky.

For those that haven't seen it (or have and just can't get enough :nonono: ):

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/2270857]Bambi vs. the Terminator on Vimeo[/ame]

The deer was righteously decapitated with the head coming through the windshield and bouncing off of Harry's seat into the footwell, where it just sat staring at him as the session was red flagged.
After a few minutes he could come into the pits, where he drove up to the ambulance and asked if they could please do something with the injured party.

Results:

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
**deer hitting stuff**

God damn! On tape and everything.... He nearly got away without any damage to the bumper or hood though! Almost lol .... Id be so pissed.

Luckily i have yet to hit a deer, but god nature was not on your side during that cruise OP.

What track is that at?? is it in maryland?? iv really wanted to autocross my car, but idk where there are any tracks around here.

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
My dad had my go pro turned off. If it was on, it would have been a wild video. He hit it as he passed under the bridge rite before the front straightaway. He went into a 4 wheel lockup. I was in the tower at the beginning of the front straightaway and heard him hit the deer.

I hit a dog that ran out on the track at Trailways while racing flattrack about 5 years ago. Killed the dog instantly and a set of front forks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread