Redlyne, new times :)

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Gainesville, 65-70 degrees, humid.

13.26 @ 281mph / 2.10 (bring on Johnny Gullett :shocked:)
13.14 @ 106.69mph / 1.98
13.11 @ 106.20mph / 1.93
13.12 @ 106.20mph / 1.92

I didn't get to cool the car down after the first run because the fn switch was killing the battery. I think the first run may have been 107mph due to the ET and 60ft. Stupid broken traps ;)

MODS:

JBA Cat4ward 1 5/8 shorties
Dr Gas Xpipe
Flowmaster Catback
Steeda Pulleys & Tri Ax (flameball shift knob :D)
FRPP 4.10s
JMS chip (mailorder burn, 1st setting)
Triton V10 intake tube & K&N

...and a slightly P/P intake off my friends S/C 99 Cobra. He wanted to see what it did for a NA car. I think it is hurting me in the midrange, but works awesome on a boosted car.

Last dyno before the chip and intake tube:

302rwhp / 306lb ft

A friend was giving me some tips before my last run and with all he told me I forgot that I wanted to raise my launch RPM, lol. So with a mid 1.8x 60ft and a cool down, I'll be flirting with 12s :D

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
that's F'in awesome matt! i never did get the 99 to the track with the 4.10's, but i had gotten a 2.002 60' before that. I wish I'd gotten it down there at least once.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
I've only done "go fast" mods so far so those are the only ones I have. In other words, the IRS is stock down to the bushings. I'm gonna get a PHP brace here soon with the poly bushings that go with it. Some lowering springs are planned since I've done most the bolt on power goodies I can do.

TDC needs to hurry up :D

Oh, and don't think that I haven't contemplated swapping my Fiance's 98 GT 8.8 for the IRS :D

ron williams

Established Member
irs

MATT-THANKS FOR THE REPLY. THE REASON I ASKED IS I BROKE A HALF-SHAFT AT HE LINE ON MY 11TH PASS ,NOT ALL ON THE SAME DAY-I HAD 275 BFG DRAG RADIALS ON. I THINK THEY WERE TOO STICKY AND I TRIED TO COME OUT TOO HARD. HAD RUN A 13.7 AT 105 BEFORE THAT. HOW DO YOU GET SUCH GREAT 60FT. TIMES? THE BEST I'F DONE IS 2.24.

Last edited:

REDLYNE

Established Member
Matt,

What tires are you running? I assume DR's with those 60ft times.

Great times...but I think you have a lot more in the car. I'm not trying to flame....just HEAR ME OUT:

High 12's should be possible with your current setup...what rpm are you launching at? what rpm are you shifting at? Based on our two cars and respective times...I really think you could do better. Granted, I have a bigger gear than you do....but with your 60ft times I would be in the low 13.2's....and thats without the chip, headers, and pulleys that you have...so I think you should be in the 12's now. Maybe we're comparing apples to oranges because we have different exhaust, induiction...and I have the IRS brace and bushings and therefrore probably launching at a slightly higher RPM. So, what do you think? I have seen stock post-fix 99's dyno anywhere between 260rwhp to 288rwhp...so its hard to compare. Wghat altitude is your track?

Based on what I have seen, the chip is supposed to be good for 8-10 rwhp (depending on the probram)...so DYNO that sucker again! Your trap speeds are awesome!

Good times man! I'll be running my car again after a couple upgrades: multi-point SFC's, Nitto DR's, and popssibly GKN half-shafts.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
I'm running BFG Drag Radials. Got them from a guy on LS1.com who is selling a bunch of them. $185 a pair brand new. I had always heard that BFGs were awesome on the track. Hell, Bob Cosby cuts 1.6s on them. They wear out fast on the street, but I got them just for track duty. Plus, I couldn't beat that deal.

I definitely think high 12s are possible.

I launched at 4000rpm. I was going to raise my launch rpm on the last run but I got some tips from a friend who can just drive his ass off. Anyway, with all he told me, I forgot to raise the launch rpm and launched at 4000rpm again. I know that I can get a 1.8x 60ft out of it. It still bogged a lil bit with a 4k launch, so 4500 should be great. The tires hooked great at Gainesville, unlike our local 1/8mile "dirt" track, lol.

I shift 1-2, 2-3 at 6800rpm, then 3-4 at about 6400-6500rpm.

Back in January at the same track, it went 13.61 @ 104mph bone stock. Two weeks later it dynoed 273hp / 286tq bone stock down to the filter, post fix. Next dyno day is in November :)

I still have the chip on the 1st setting, and the 2nd setting bumps the timing and A/F one more point. So I might try the 2nd setting next time around.

Track is Gainesville Raceway, Florida. I believe altitude is sea level. That night it was very humid, 65-70 degrees, and low pressure. I also couldn't use my fan switch with the car off after the first run, so the passes were made with the car at full operating temperature. With a cooldown, and a 1.8 60ft, I believe high 12s @ 107-108mph are very possible. I think the K&N was filthy too. I also had everything in the car plus about 50lbs worth of the fiance's stuff, and a box of cleaning materials in the trunk

So next time (next Friday) we'll see what happens. Hopefully, I won't need any new halfshafts yet ;)

REDLYNE

Established Member
Got them from a guy on LS1.com who is selling a bunch of them. $185 a pair brand new.

Is this deal still available? Everyone seems to like Nittos...but you are the third person in as many weeks that I have heard praising the BFG DR's. The way I see it, a DR is right in the middle of a slick and street tire. DR's have tread (so they a re legal on teh street) but are made of a softer rubber compound so they can be lowered in pressure and heated up at the track for good performance. The price you mentioned sounds good (compared tohow much NItto's cost)...but how much are BFG's new? Just want to know how much is being saved....

Sounds like you are laucnhing rigth where you should be. With sticky DR's are you experiencing any hop at launch? how about on the 1-2 shift?? My times are being hut by hop off theline and hop at the 1-2 shift. With 4.30's and balding street tires...I guess I shouldn; be surprised. ;)

I also race my car in full street weight. I like my car to run on the track the same way it will run on the street. Hence, I don't use ice on the intake, i don't remove weight, etc. This is also probably why I will run DR's on the rears even on the street.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
I think the Nittos are great for the street, but have always heard BFGs work awesome on the track. I will support that claim also.

BFG Sale post on LS1.com

New I believe they go for about $130-$145 a piece. So $185 a pair is a great deal. Not sure if they have any left, but go to that post and email the guy. Sounds like a scam, but I assure you it is not.

I didn't get any hop at all. I actually bogged a lil bit launching at 4000rpm. So I'm gonna try 4500rpm next time and see what happens. No hop on the 1-2 shift either. Just chirp and go. I prolly picked up a 1/10th on that alone. In fact, the 1-2 shift is where I'm afraid of breaking a shaft. I don't bark 4th anymore like it used to, that was just cool :)

I hate to say it, but my next trip to the track will be sans interior and other parts. Make a long story short, a shit talker here in town is braggin on his "stock" 5.0 will out run me on the track by way of hookin, and ET. Stock = long tubes, hpipe, flows, pullies, roller rockers, ET streets, Skinnies, no interior, borrowed fiberglass hood, gutted bumpers. :D

He ran a 13.07 @ 103mph to my 13.11 @ 106mph. He pulled a 1.7 60, to my 1.9. So well see what happens when I lose 200lbs and pull some 1.8s. Fight fire with fire, as much as I hate to do it.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
WIth DR's, I imagine he's just popping it, or at least letting it out very quickly.
Matt, It's been my experience in my '99 that I got better times when I shifted every time at 6200-6300. I never had it dynoed, so I can't say that it's precise, and I'm beginning to think that my '99 was messed up anyway. Are you basing your shift points off of you dyno sheet though? If you're not, that might be where the extra tenth or so could be found.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
I'm slipping it, just doing it very quickly. Just as soon as I start to release the clutch, I'm pressing the gas pedal smoothly to the floor. Hard to describe, but it seems to be working. I wasn't spinning at all, and bogged a lil bit, so I'm gonna try to raise the launch rpm.

MY dyno shows peak power at around 6200rpm. I just shift that high to keep in the power band when I hit the next gear. I'm going to try and shift at 6200-6300 next time and see what happens. My torque numbers have been really good so that might help too.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt_Sterbator

MY dyno shows peak power at around 6200rpm. I just shift that high to keep in the power band when I hit the next gear. I'm going to try and shift at 6200-6300 next time and see what happens. My torque numbers have been really good so that might help too.

I guess if you were far along enough to be using DR's, I should have figured you'd been using your dyno sheet.

XLR8-R

Established Member
triton V10 intake tube

Matt. Do you have pictures of this set up or info on how my friend can do it to his?(triton intake tube) Also, are you still using the stock mass air meter ? Thanks

Carter

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
I don't have any pics of it.

Basically, you just get the intake tube from a Triton V10. It has a dual throttle body like the Cobra, but it has a lot straighter path than the stock intake tube. It just slips over the throttle body like your stock tube. Now you have to afix the filter to the end of it somehow. I use it open with no airbox. The filter is held in place with wire ties.

yup, stock mass air.

103.... hehe ;)

Users who are viewing this thread