redline atf or mtl?

03mineralg

Established Member
I am waiting to order trans fluid from redline. They told me to order the d4 atf. Why are some people putting in mtl? whats the diff and why if they sell both would they only rec the atf?

03mineralg

Established Member
O.K, i did a search on the subject and found alot of info. It sounds like i should use atf with living in a colder climate. I dont drive it all winter, but i do when the roads are dry. For some reason red line will not recommend mtl in any climate in the t56. The reason for doing this was to quiet the trans down.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03mineralg
..... For some reason red line will not recommend mtl in any climate in the t56. The reason for doing this was to quiet the trans down.

That's odd. I'm using MTL in a warm environment and the trans is much quieter than stock.

FINICKY

Established Member
I ve used both and the mtl is quieter. allthough neither one seemed to help my clunky shifting. i just put regular atf back in for comparison but this NJ weather isnt letting me have any fun lol

Cobra'03

Established Member
MTL is similar to ATF, but with a slightly higher vis, and slightly different coefficient of friction. RL recommends D4 to follow the mfr's equivalency, but having had both in my tranny, the MTL wins hands down. It is both quieter and better shifting, and I found it preferable to stock fluid or Mobil 1. MTL has higher temperature stability due to superior anti-oxidative props. It still flows very well in cold climates, perhaps not sub zero for a daily driver. RL does recommend MTL for "track use", which is pretty close to how I want to drive my car, and the protection i want when I am "on it".

Users who are viewing this thread