Red "Track Key" Useless for Now

barstoolman

Established Member
Just picked up a Boss..............found out that the software to tune the PCM for the more aggressive driving mode that is ignited with the "Red Key" will not be available for 30-60 days. I confirmed this with Ford Racing yesterday. Kind of a bummer but a great driving machine nonetheless.

Just wanted to give all perspective buyers the heads up that the most sought after feature on this vehicle is currently not available.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
doesnt ford recommend a certain number of miles before you track the car? do you really want to hit the track key on the way home from the show room?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I think that is was previously announced that the Key programming was not available yet.

Congrats on the car, and what are you impressions compared to your previous shelby?

barstoolman

Established Member
I think that is was previously announced that the Key programming was not available yet.

Congrats on the car, and what are you impressions compared to your previous shelby?

The programming is available it just hasn't been approved by some Federal and State Regulatory and Enviormental agencies.

This car is so much better in every way than my '08 Shelby.........the only thing I like better about my Shelby is the body style and design. That car screams "Old School" and since I grew up with those 60s Mustangs, it just sings to me more. Other than the "look" of my Shelby, the Boss drives and handles like a dream but can't wait to drive it once the "Red Key" programming is installed.

My son has an '11 GT with 3:73s and Brembos (Track Pack) almost identical to that

barstoolman

Established Member
doesnt ford recommend a certain number of miles before you track the car? do you really want to hit the track key on the way home from the show room?

Yes I do...........I didn't buy it to drive around all the time in the standard mode.

manOwar

Established Member
Just picked up a Boss..............found out that the software to tune the PCM for the more aggressive driving mode that is ignited with the "Red Key" will not be available for 30-60 days. I confirmed this with Ford Racing yesterday. Kind of a bummer but a great driving machine nonetheless.

Just wanted to give all perspective buyers the heads up that the most sought after feature on this vehicle is currently not available.

I think you'll be lucky to see the Track Key in 60 days....

I'll be lucky to see my car this year the way the plant keeps shutting down and availability of parts to build them!:mj:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Yes I do...........I didn't buy it to drive around all the time in the standard mode.

Haha, I think most people will end up doing like what acouple magazine editors said by throwing the regular key in the junk drawer and using the track key exclusively.

barstoolman

Established Member
I think you'll be lucky to see the Track Key in 60 days:mj:

Probably true...........to be safe, Ford Racing is telling dealers that mid to late summer is the expected time frame to program the PCM with the aggressive tune software. By the same token, the guys I spoke to at Ford Racing said it could happen much earlier...........all up to how fast these State and Federal agencies give the go ahead.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Haha, I think most people will end up doing like what acouple magazine editors said by throwing the regular key in the junk drawer and using the track key exclusively.

I was thinking about that, and it sounds like a fncking awesome idea. But then I was reading that the Track Key disables "skip shift". Which I presume is where you would shift from say 2nd (after punching it off the line through 1 & 2), and into 4th (settling at a reasonable cruising speed).

I notice that I tend to skip gears quite a bit, and I'm wondering how the "skip shift" works.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member

all the time? maybe its just me, but i dont see a reason to drive it on the street in other than standard mode. thats why they call it track key. am i wrong?

barstoolman

Established Member
all the time? maybe its just me, but i dont see a reason to drive it on the street in other than standard mode. thats why they call it track key. am i wrong?

All the time?????? Of course not but if I was going to drive around all the time in street mode, I would have saved myself some money and bought a 5.0 GT with 3:73s and Brembos.........basically, the same car.

Summerwolf

Established Member
I was thinking about that, and it sounds like a fncking awesome idea. But then I was reading that the Track Key disables "skip shift". Which I presume is where you would shift from say 2nd (after punching it off the line through 1 & 2), and into 4th (settling at a reasonable cruising speed).

I notice that I tend to skip gears quite a bit, and I'm wondering how the "skip shift" works.

Skip shift is to promote gas savings..... Unless you hit a certain RPM in first it makes you go to 4th instead of 2nd-3rd to help with gas....

The Red car with Black accents is so far the best looking Boss IMO.

The black car with orange makes me :nonono: congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread