red spark plugs

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
well i just ditched the motorsport spark plugs in favor of some NGK TR6s...when i removed the plugs they were bright red/orange...a color i have never see before. Ive been around cars for a while since i was little in fact but have never seen plugs this color. just hoping you guys know something i dont know or can fill me in on why they are red like that...

Grover03

Established Member
I read somewhere that it was a sign that someone was using fuel additives (octane boost, etc.) Are you?

Grover

PhilipR

Established Member
Originally posted by KNGOBRA
Any proof on what you're saying.....:shrug:

NGK's are known for spark blowout on these cars, if you have a smaller pulley(like a 2.93). Denso's are a colder plug and some people have seen 10rwhp on the dyno with them.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
the densos are just a plug that will last longer-its not gonna make any more power than a regular NGK TR6...o yeah i did use some octane booster...thats prolly it

lguerra1

Established Member
Originally posted by PhilipR
NGK's are known for spark blowout on these cars, if you have a smaller pulley(like a 2.93). Denso's are a colder plug and some people have seen 10rwhp on the dyno with them.

Spark blowout is not a result of what brand plug you are using, it is a result of how wide you have the plugs gapped. The closer the plug gap, the less chances of spark blowout. However you can also lower HP as a result. You want to gap the plugs as wide as possible without having spark blowout.

As for the Densos being a colder plug. Many aftermarket plugs come in different heat ranges, and the NGK's along with Densos basically have the same heat ranges. Densos might have one or two colder ranges, however unless you are running a KB blower with mad HP and TQE, you will never need that cold of a plug.

Users who are viewing this thread