Red Key Gas Mileage

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I'm curious what others are seeing on their gas mileage with the Red key in mixed driving. I've gone thru about a tank and a half after taking the car out of storage and seeing about 12.5 miles per gallon. Hadn't really looked at this until this season...with gas prices being so high.

My car is stock, with the exception of Corsa Extreme axle backs and has about 40K miles on it. Just changed the air filter today (old one didn't look bad) and plan to replace the spark plugs soon.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Mixed driving as in city/highway or cruising/spirited?

When I'm driving like a ass on back road jaunts I'll see about 16. Never seen 12 though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Mixed driving as in city/highway or cruising/spirited?

When I'm driving like a ass on back road jaunts I'll see about 16. Never seen 12 though.

Yah, mixed driving, nothing very long on the highway, mostly city, and as a result, not overly spirited. I definitely think there's something going on affecting the mileage. My previous ride, a custom tuned 08 GT500 was seeing similar mileage, but I'd expect it with a supercharged, 525 RWHP car.

I'll change out the plugs next to see if that improves things. Last season I threw a couple of P030X CE codes (cylinder misfires), but nothing so far this season.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Yah, mixed driving, nothing very long on the highway, mostly city, and as a result, not overly spirited. I definitely think there's something going on affecting the mileage. My previous ride, a custom tuned 08 GT500 was seeing similar mileage, but I'd expect it with a supercharged, 525 RWHP car.

I'll change out the plugs next to see if that improves things. Last season I threw a couple of P030X CE codes (cylinder misfires), but nothing so far this season.
I don't do any city driving but I would still expect your mileage to be better than 12. Mine is stock with the exception of a Barton hybrid 3, MRT off-road h pipe and Corsa extremes. And defoulers.

Do you miss the GT500? I couldn't decide between a boss and GT500. I feel like I made the right decision but that supercharger whine makes the experience more fun I think.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I don't do any city driving but I would still expect your mileage to be better than 12. Mine is stock with the exception of a Barton hybrid 3, MRT off-road h pipe and Corsa extremes. And defoulers.

Do you miss the GT500? I couldn't decide between a boss and GT500. I feel like I made the right decision but that supercharger whine makes the experience more fun I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

I do miss the GT500 for that sweet supercharger whine and the push you in your seat acceleration. However, the quad exhaust w/track key lopey idle is music to the ears and the Boss is much better balanced out of the box; handles, good acceleration, and great looks. This is my 2nd Boss.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Curious what you found out?

Spoke to a 2013 GT/CS owner and his mileage was actually similar to mine. He drives an automatic and similar driving conditions (city/hwy) to me. I'm a bit surprised. Going to ask some more owners at the next mustang meet. I did change the plugs and air filter but haven't noticed any impact to mileage as of yet.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Might want to do a ecu ford reset taking into a dealership to clear everything out.

Users who are viewing this thread