Recovering or Reupholster Door Panels 99-04 ?

gonebrokeracing

Established Member
I haven't seen any kits out there to re-do the 1999-2004 door panels
The top part of my drives door panel is all cracked and peeling.
Should i look into taking it to an Upholstery shop has anyone tried to recover it themselves ?

gonebrokeracing

Established Member
Very good question.

Well thanks for that lol.
I've search and searched as many mustang forums that i could remember and nothing lol
I know I'm not the only one. I started to get the bug again wanting to do stuff to the car again.
Getting it painted in a few weeks. so now i want everything to look good.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen anyone selling door panels for these cars. Luckily, mine were in really good shape, but I had to inject a little glue under the armrest part as the vinyl had pulled up slightly (all of them seem to do this).

On a related subject, I just got my new front seat upholstery from LMR (TMI brand) and it is first rate. However, when I removed my old covers my foam was not good , so I am waiting for that to come from LMR this next week.

My suggestion on the door panels would be to scour a local wrecking yard, or maybe look on Ebay or Craigslist. I have seen some at our local pick and pull that look pretty good.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I have a nice set of charcoal interior door panels if anyone is interested.

I know it's not for everybody, but On one of my old SN95's I pulled off the peeling vinyl from the door panels and cleaned them up and painted them with wrinkle black along with the pocket and the door handle bezel. I thought it looked pretty killer in a pinch.

BMCGC

Established Member
Old thread but worth keeping it going.

It seems all we would need is a plastic panel to "snap" over the top portion of the door panel. Or even separate the top from the bottom and just replace the top.

Ive been looking in the JYs for 6 months now, nearly every door panel I find has a great lower half and a rotten top half.

We need to get one of our vendors to pursue this project and make it happen.

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Talked to TMI at mustang week about this very thing. Was told that the process and machines/ press to make these is way to expensive and way too big for their operation. It would take 20+ years of selling SN-95 and New Edge door panels to even come close to making it worth it (must seel a boat load every year)

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BMCGC

Established Member
Talked to TMI at mustang week about this very thing. Was told that the process and machines/ press to make these is way to expensive and way too big for their operation. It would take 20+ years of selling SN-95 and New Edge door panels to even come close to making it worth it (must seel a boat load every year)

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thats why I think a good compromise is to reproduce the top portion only. Either a snap on/glue on panel or a complete replacement panel. Even a formed upholstery panel would be better than nothing.

As I stated, I rarely see a bottom that is damaged or worn.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I have a nice set of charcoal interior door panels if anyone is interested.

I know it's not for everybody, but On one of my old SN95's I pulled off the peeling vinyl from the door panels and cleaned them up and painted them with wrinkle black along with the pocket and the door handle bezel. I thought it looked pretty killer in a pinch.
Pics?

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

NewOrleans-YAT

Established Member
idea, how about repairing the the damaged area with a filler/bondo smoothing area out and then vinyl wrapping. I work for 3M and their vinyl is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread