Recommendations requested...home theater in a box

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Recommendations solicited for a home theater system with very small dimensions please...

I have an older system that literally is built like a tank and has all discrete components (all Pioneer Elite stuff, about $16K worth) but my new house I'd like to keep the electronics equipment in the main living area on the down low. I have a specific listening room that I'm going to dedicate that equipment to. However I just picked up a nice flat screen that I'm going to wall mount in my living room and in keeping with the small equipment theme (not going to dominate the room) I'd like to hear what you guys think would be a good system for that purpose, for Dolby 5.1 and movies.

Just browsing eBay for about 30 seconds yielded the following result:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39811&item=5787407850

I've had a Bose Acoustimass system before and wasn't that impressed...but still open to recommendations...

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
LOL...yeah, after further research the Bose seems pretty widely panned.

Basically

Overpriced

Systems that

Everybody buys for no reason.

...is what I saw on one site. :-D

Thanks for the Klipsch recommendation, I am going to check them out.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Nakamichi is very nice. Looking there now. Not really that familiar with infinity although I have heard of them, thank you for the link. I will do some research on them as well.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
JoeNashville said:
I like Sonys as well, but this one from Klipsch looks unobtrusive and is wall mountable:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=936&dmore=True&rmore=False

...are the Sony systems wall mountable? I don't want to put the big bulky speakers I now have in my living room...

My set up consists of a sub, front, rear, and center front speaker, all of which i have in the cabinetry around the TV....the rears are mounted to the ceiling (they can also be monted to the wall). I would imagine if the rears can be mounted, the fronts can as well. I'll see if i can find a link to what i have.

JaysGreenLX

"Ugh Jerks"
Established Member
RidnRodsLightng said:
i have a sony...sounds great and didn't cost anywhere NEAR that much! IMO bose are WAY overrated

I bought a Sony a few months ago. Its not the best system I have seen but its certainly sufficient for my purposes. Loud, sounds good, 6:1 Surround.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
RidnRodsLightng said:

Very cool...the speakers are the right small size for my listening room but I would have a problem with trying to find a place to put the receiver and DVD player. :( That's my biggest issue with most of these systems I think at the moment...

Bang & Olufsen...very nice too. I wasn't aware that they made a micro shelf system, I'll check that out.

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
I personally don't think bose is overrated. I have tested them,That consisted of me goign to best buy and turning them up as loud as they can possibly get and there was no distortion, jeebus it sounded clearer then when my mom talks. I would personally go with bose or klipsch. If you can look at some polk audio. they have some very nice systems.

Users who are viewing this thread