recommendations on t56 rebuild kits

aarons04cobra

Established Member
So of course i finally get my car built and get to the dyno and its getting stuck in fourth gear when ever put under load. I'm pulling the transmission tonight so I can get it rebuilt by mid next week.

Who sells a good rebuild kit that they can get to me quickly?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Tremec. It's about 3k and its listed as a magnum. There are a bunch of t56 parts that aren't made anymore too. I know that isnt what you wanted to hear, but the stock magnum will hold more power than most rebuilt t56s.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think it was Tick Performance I was looking at for mine. They have a couple of different stages.

Although I'd probably go Magnum as mentioned if you have the budget.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recommend the Magnum as well. Much stronger than the T-56 and in the long run you'll probably be much more satisfied. Aaron, how much power and torque are you making with your present setup and what are your future plans? I ask for an obvious reason, of course. For those making big power/torque who have opted to go with a Magnum, I've heard nothing but praise for the transmission.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
+3 it makes no since to build up the stocker when all said and done you could have the magnum.

I bought 1 for my last car(high way car 2.97) from D&D it held over 1000rwhp.
I have 1 in my car now bought from same place it's having no problem holding 750-800rwhp (dig or 20mph shifting around 7-7200).

Too bad we have too many miles between us I am in the process of doing a 6r80 swap, well earlier stages(winter build). But the magnum, clutch, flywheel, drive shaft are 4 years old with 14k miles, receipts too prove.

cj428mach

Established Member
Magnum. The magum gears are 15% wider, it can hold more power period. After blowing all the teeth off 3rd gear in my t56 i can say its not worth messing with.

zredfire04

Established Member
if you're gonna build it yourself, and you're not making over 6-700hp, no need to spend the money on a magnum IMO.

i rebuilt mine with parts from the gear box. works great for me, and saved over $2k vs buying a magnum.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

zredfire04

Established Member
oh. so, yeah...maybe 8-850hp.

as long as he doesn't try to run slicks on a prepped track, a t56 would probably be fine. but since it looks like no expense is being spared on this car, a magnum would be a little more likely to survive some abuse.

IMO once you start going over 700hp you should be going auto anyway.

cj428mach

Established Member
I blew the teeth on mine in drag radials on the street. 22 psi on e85, should have been around 700ish.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Tried buying a magnum but the ship dates didnt line up for mustang week. Ended up upgrading just about everything in the stock t56. Its back in the car now and running great.

see you all at mustang week!

Users who are viewing this thread