Recommendations on mild mods- '97 Cobra

SN95SVT

Established Member
I was fortunate enough to purchase a low-mileage (5K original) 1997 Rio Red Cobra Coupe with Saddle Cloth interior from the original owner last summer. I have had a number of Mustangs in the past and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. I just don't get why there are other forums (I will not name names)that bash the the SN95 Cobras so I am glad I found this site (I am a newbie!).
I wanted to get a recommendation on a few mild mods I wanted to do to car to improve the overall performance.
Can I get some recommendations on what type of exhaust I should go with? Axle back or cat back? Something throaty but not too loud and no drone!
I would also like a recommendation on a cold air intake and what brands are best
Lastly, can I get some comments on whether I should have the rear-end changed to a 3.55 to improve hole-shot?
I am pretty confident that with these mods the car should be overall better/faster, but I am open to any and all comments.
Thank you very much!! ERIC

mark23svt

Established Member
For exhaust I would go for bassani for what you described. For a cai I would either get a k&n filter ( save cash) or just get a jolt if you really want a cai. As for gears it's up to you I have 4.10 but wished I would have gone with 4.30 if that helps.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Well exhaust I would suggest nothing less than off road X or H pipe at the least. They will give you some extra ponies and much better TQ down low. Long tubes being the best overall performance, but a PITA to put on.Stock catback makes good power as any, so you are pretty much buying sound with the after market setups. your flow through type mufflers will yield some extra hp. CAI I have ran many at this time I have a JLT budget ram air kit on my laser red cobra. Gears..DO not waste your time on anything less than 4.10's. This route im thinking 4.30's since running NOS. maybe still even 4.56. Look into a tuner it was my first addition on this car. Love it!

mustang3X

Established Member
Off road H pipe for old school muscle car sound, it's what I have :banana:

Axle back is almost zero HP so only do it for sound/looks.

CAI adds no HP either so only do that for looks.

You need a short throw shifter, rear lower control arms, lowering springs with CC plates. These all address shortcomings with the stock parts and a lower car looks better.

If it is in the budget a rear gear, sub frame connectors also stiffen up the chassis real good.

Other good mods for NA engines are under drive pulleys, do a search for user NASVT for info on this subject, and also his short runner intake manifold mod. He has written much on these.

Any Mustang person who bashes on another Mustang is a friggin idiot. There are always going to be immature little dolts who think the car they like is the best and everyone should like what they like. As long as nitwits like that stay on other forums then we are good.

Last edited:

scarlett98

Established Member
Its not a short ram air intake that nasvt makes, its a short runner intake.

Here's a 300whp combo

Long tubes pacesetter would be my recommendation.
Short runner intake from nasvt
X or h pipe
Custom tune
march fluid dampner

Here's a couple things you can do to improve overall acceleration and feel
Gears 410s or 430s
Lower control arms
Weight reduction

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
...and
march fluid dampner
march wp pulley
march hydraboost pulley
a 90mm MAF and a K&N filter
4.10 gears

forget the cold air intakes, lots money for no gain.

Last edited:

brucesvt

Established Member
Its not a short ram air intake that nasvt makes, its a short runner intake.

Here's a 300whp combo

Long tubes pacesetter would be my recommendation.
Short runner intake from nasvt
X or h pipe
Custom tune
march fluid dampner

Here's a couple things you can do to improve overall acceleration and feel
Gears 410s or 430s
Lower control arms
Weight reduction

this
for exhuast go with magnaflow or bassani

laddanator

Established Member
...and
march fluid dampner
march wp pulley
march hydraboost pulley
a 90mm MAF and a K&N filter
4.10 gears

forget the cold air intakes, lots money for no gain.

Do they make an adapter to use a 90mm MAF with a stock air intake?

i8urSS

Established Member
I agree with everybody else. Gears are a must. Longtubes are next. Then mid-pipe and mufflers depending on the sound you like. Anything less than 4.10 is just a tease on these cars. I bought mine with 3.73 and its barely better than the factory gears. A kmember will help you cut a lot of weight and flsfc's will help stiffen it up. You're def on the right track tho. Congrats on the mint find.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
if keeping the stock maf the stock inlet tube is sufficient. If going with a 90mm maf I recommend a homemade RAI as it can be put together for under $100. The price of aftermarket CAIs and RAIs is ridiculous and they provide no power gain.

jmsa540

Established Member
Check out my sig.. That's what I've done and those are the power numbers I've put down with just those mods.. Car was tuned in April 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread