Recommendation on best and most experienced shop for Terminator engine major repair in Northeast?

mike69440

Established Member
Hello,
After 18 years and 106,000 miles about 85% of that at the 600 RWHP level with a basic 2.3 Whipple setup, my mint 03 Street driven 03 Cobra has an internal engine knock.
Being an old man with slow reflexes whom seldom runs the car more than moderately up thru the gears, being careless , one day last year I ran the car up an on ramp, full bore in 2nd gear, trying to keep the car pointed straight, not watching the tach, figuring my ear and butt would tell me when to shift. Misjudged and I think was at about 86-87 mph going into third. A few weeks later the knock started and I ended up parking the car. I was still working at the time (mechanical engineer) and have a lot going on in the family and living on a New Hampshire farm, so the car has bee idle for 12 months
Mostly retired now, so I do not want the car sitting there doing nothing. I've had my repair shop look at it and they are reluctant to get into it, same goes for anyone local who has experience with 03 Cobra's.
Motor needs to be dropped from bottom side, determine how bas it's hurt.
Would do a McCleod clutch and replace the T56 with a Magnum or go thru the the Tremec T56 adding a 26 spline input, upgrade the syncros, etc.
Regarding the engine fix or replace the existing or install the M-6007-A50SCB 5.0L GEN 3 ALUMINATOR SC CRATE ENGINE Ford Performance M6007A50SCB- 5.0L Aluminator Crate Engine.
Health reasons are such that this is beyond my scope and I want to do this while I still have anything left in my 401K, (Thank you Brandon).
I realize I could by a basic new sedan for what this repair will one, buy I'm attached to the car.
I could trailer the car to a shop, but not the west coast.
In my situation, any recommendations or contacts.
This is my first post in years.

Much appreciated.
Mike

Attachments

• 20210814_102445_HDR (1280x825).jpg
    20210814_102445_HDR (1280x825).jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 165

Rambro

Established Member
Maybe look into Livernois or L&M. I wouldn’t trust any “local” shop for one of these engines. But if you do go that route, do your research and make sure they are very familiar with how to properly go through a modular. Good luck.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
K&G Performance is up in NH and I had them do some work after getting my car back from another shop.
They do great, clean work. Their shop is huge and meticulously spotless.
I can't vouch for their engine builds, but I know they definitely build their own and work on some nice stuff.

From their site:
"We take pride and stake our reputation on every high performance engine we build. When you purchase a High Performance engine, you're buying our years of experience. We don't mass-produce using crate engines - we custom build each one at a time with your application in mind. Our secret to the power, quality, and reliability is using the best combination of parts available in your budget. We stand behind our guarantee and Warranty Information."

Fitzwilliam, NH

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Call Pete’s Performance in NH. He’s a Termi guru and I’m sure he can get you headed in the right direction.
Yeah, this guy knows Mustangs. His web site: Performance Dyno

I think that's all he does. He helped me with a tuning issue when I bought my current car (2010 Roush).
performancedyno.jpg

Rambro

Established Member
Make sure they know what they’re doing with the modular fords, can’t stress it enough. After seeing what I’ve seen, there isn’t an engine shop in the Midwest that I would trust with a modular. Go with someone who specializes in these engines. Do it once, and do it right.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Pete’s cousin is a mechanic, his shop is 2 doors down from his dyno. He can pull the motor, send it out for repair/rebuild and install the fresh one.

Cobra Dan is also local. I hear good things about him but never any first hand experience. Post in the NE section and you can get his contact.

Nick at Holmes Auto in Pepperell MA can do it do. He has a bad ass Twin Turbo Roush. Would be in good hands. Only shop I let touch my car when I need stuff done. Does my alignments, tire swaps, welding subframes etc.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If none of the above shops work for you, at least call Pete and get a couple of recommendations from him. He'll probably give you his cousin's name, but see if he has a couple of other highly recommended shops that would take good care of your needs.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Pete’s cousin is a mechanic, his shop is 2 doors down from his dyno. He can pull the motor, send it out for repair/rebuild and install the fresh one.

Cobra Dan is also local. I hear good things about him but never any first hand experience. Post in the NE section and you can get his contact.

Nick at Holmes Auto in Pepperell MA can do it do. He has a bad ass Twin Turbo Roush. Would be in good hands. Only shop I let touch my car when I need stuff done. Does my alignments, tire swaps, welding subframes etc.

I forgot all about Nick.
Always loved that Candy Roush of his.

mike69440

Established Member
Make sure they know what they’re doing with the modular fords, can’t stress it enough. After seeing what I’ve seen, there isn’t an engine shop in the Midwest that I would trust with a modular. Go with someone who specializes in these engines. Do it once, and do it right.
Got that!

MG0h3

Established Member
The engine you linked is a coyote platform.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Marv Z. currently at Brew City Boost. Guy's a mod Mustang wizard.
Does Mike Post (DynotuneMP) only tune? Not sure which part of IL you're in.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Modular head shop in central Florida
Panhandle performance in NW FL
TKM in NC

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread