Recommend an exhaust shop in CT to fix my H pipe?

Mark99GT

Established Member
I'm trying to get this JBA H pipe (part # 6632SH) to fit my 97 Cobra. It's supposed to fit a 1996-04 GT/Cobra and it's supposed to be used with JBA's headers, which I knew in advance.

So figuring I could make it work, I measured, cut the ends off, and expanded the ends to slip-fit on to the Bassani X pipe tubes that connect to the exhaust manifolds. Everything was going well; I test fit the pipes and the slip fit joints were perfect. But the whole alignment at the transmission X member and mufflers is way off. Stupid assumed the bends would be the same and I didn't lay the whole thing out prior to doing this and I now see the bends between the Bassani and JBA are pretty far off.

I'd really like to fix it myself, but I just don't see any way around this in the garage without cutting and welding (I don't have a welder). If anyone has a non-welding garage-fix suggestion, I'm open to ideas.

Do you think an exhaust shop could straighten out each bend near the O2 bungs and then re-bend to follow the lines of the Bassani? It's 409 stainless. I'd probably have to re-cut and expand the ends afterwards. I'm sure it'll look a little mangled from multiple bends, but at this point I don't really care, as long as it fits. Pop's Exhaust and Cromwell Automotive are about the only places I'm seeing for custom exhaust work. I'm looking to stay around the Hartford area if possible. At this point I'm probably getting close to the cost of an MRT H pipe.... Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop near central CT that could fix this? thanks in advance
H Pipe Bends.png

Mark99GT

Established Member
If you’re in a jam, I know a badass welder in S.East Mass.

Not quite a jam yet cause I could just throw the X pipe back on. But where in MA is your guy? I'm looking at the Stifflers FIT system and I'll need a competent person to get that all welded in.

CobraSam

Established Member
We’re in Plymouth. And my friend can absolutely handle that, no question. He’s extremely talented.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Might be wort the 2 1/2 hr. drive, especially if cutting and welding is needed, and you really need those services. I used to know a Corvette shop near East Hartford that did an exhaust system for me. That was over 15 years ago and I can't find them using Google.

Mark99GT

Established Member
I ended up going to Proper Solutions Group in New Milford. They did a nice job (wasn't cheap) and I got it installed this evening. They cut, bent, and re-welded the tubes after the H with stainless. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find an exhaust shop that dealt with stainless.

CobraSam

Established Member
Glad to hear! Ya, stainless is a whole other animal, they say, I’m not a welder haha. If you need help with the stifflers kit, let me know. My friend can handle that with ease. His prices are great as well.

Mark99GT

Established Member
Glad to hear! Ya, stainless is a whole other animal, they say, I’m not a welder haha. If you need help with the stifflers kit, let me know. My friend can handle that with ease. His prices are great as well.
Does your guy have a shop/business or work on the side, like out of his garage?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I ended up going to Proper Solutions Group in New Milford. They did a nice job (wasn't cheap) and I got it installed this evening. They cut, bent, and re-welded the tubes after the H with stainless. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find an exhaust shop that dealt with stainless.
Well that is great news! Not too bad, miles wise. Maybe 60 miles?

Mark99GT

Established Member
Well that is great news! Not too bad, miles wise. Maybe 60 miles?
Yeah about 60 miles round trip. I called on Wednesday, they took it the same day, and had it done Thursday evening. So a really quick turnaround. Nice guys too.

Sounds like the H really cleaned up the nasty rasp/rattle sound the Bassani X was making. If we get some decent weather maybe I can take it for a spin to really test it out.

CobraSam

Established Member
Wow, CobraSam and CobraBob in one thread.

Woody Harrelson Wtf GIF
Haha well it’s actually embarrassing for me. CobraBob is a legend and I joined just to get some quick info. Turns out, I really like this place, and now I wish I want to change my username a bit as to not bit the style of such a great guy. So Bob seems, I don’t actually know him, but all his posts are very positive and I imagine he’s a great dude.

CobraSam

Established Member
Does your guy have a shop/business or work on the side, like out of his garage?
He owns his own shop, word of mouth type of place. He went to welding/fabrication school. Then went to diesel school. Now he does just about anything mechanical and fabricatio/welding wise that comes his way. He’s truly extremely talented and can honestly say I can personally guarantee his work and him as a guy. Known him over 30 years since we were kids, and wouldn’t put myself out there for anyone else.
Guy works on everything from dirt bikes to huge diesel tractor trucks rigs. It’s pretty amazing really.
Helped me with my engine rebuild in both my Mustangs. Also all my fab work for various toys and projects.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Haha well it’s actually embarrassing for me. CobraBob is a legend and I joined just to get some quick info. Turns out, I really like this place, and now I wish I want to change my username a bit as to not bit the style of such a great guy. So Bob seems, I don’t actually know him, but all his posts are very positive and I imagine he’s a great dude.

I doubt Bob minds at all. As you said he is a great guy and easy going.

If you DID want to change your name, it's possible.

Last edited:

CobraSam

Established Member
I doubt Bob minds at all. As you said he is a great guy and easy going.

If you DID want to change your name, it's possible.
I’m sure you’re right, haha.
I might just keep it, if Bob doesn’t mind.
Side note, u ever wanna take a cruise down my way when the weather is nice, lemme know. We do an awesome car show then cruise/burnout session after, every Sunday morning right on the waterfront in Plymouth. (Not the burnouts of course) Lots of cars show up. Good times.

Mark99GT

Established Member
He owns his own shop, word of mouth type of place. He went to welding/fabrication school. Then went to diesel school. Now he does just about anything mechanical and fabricatio/welding wise that comes his way. He’s truly extremely talented and can honestly say I can personally guarantee his work and him as a guy. Known him over 30 years since we were kids, and wouldn’t put myself out there for anyone else.
Guy works on everything from dirt bikes to huge diesel tractor trucks rigs. It’s pretty amazing really.
Helped me with my engine rebuild in both my Mustangs. Also all my fab work for various toys and projects.
Awesome. When I get the kit I'll get back to you for details. Thanks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, CobraSam and CobraBob in one thread.

Woody Harrelson Wtf GIF
LOL. I didn't even notice that, Paul.

I'm a long time member who spends a lot of time on SVTPerformance because I appreciate the camaraderie and knowledge shared here. NOT a legend by any stretch. LOL. Sounds like you learned to like this place just like I did, for similar reasons. Stick around and you'll glean great info here just like I have, and so many other folks have. SVTP is a special and unique place for Mustang/car enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread