recommend a cheap good mileage car

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
looking for some suggestions on a cheap, aka roughly 2500 or less, excellent gas mileage car. just something i put a million miles on and do cheap maintenance and preferably have 4 doors. must be 4cyl auto, or v6 if the gas mileage is comparable to a 4cyl. i really cant overstate the good gas mileage thing, thats the most important thing. i want a good beater that i can drive everywhere and not worry about putting miles on my nicer car.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
Best high mpg car I ever had was a Geo Metro. Way more interior room than you would believe, 45 mpg no matter how I drove it and I couldn't kill the little bastard. Only had 3 cylinders, though.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Best high mpg car I ever had was a Geo Metro. Way more interior room than you would believe, 45 mpg no matter how I drove it and I couldn't kill the little bastard. Only had 3 cylinders, though.

holy crap, 45mpg? gonna look on craigslist now.

Are you talking city or freeway mpg? Mine gets 35 freeway.

id like to combined get minimum 35mpg, like i said i cant overstate the importance of getting good mileage

Troponin

Established Member

yeah, but those cars weren't designed to last over 100k miles and repairing them cost more than buying a new one. lol

Check out the Prius too. Just before careful, you have to be talk a lot with your eyes closed, while discussing the environment and how everyone just doesn't care about saving the sea turtles.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
yeah, but those cars weren't designed to last over 100k miles and repairing them cost more than buying a new one. lol

Check out the Prius too. Just before careful, you have to be talk a lot with your eyes closed, while discussing the environment and how everyone just doesn't care about saving the sea turtles.

Doubt youll find onw for 2500 though, and im pretty sure the battery replacement is a shit ton of money too.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member

Hmmmm... maybe my experience was unique. I sold mine w/ 150K and it never had a problem - not one.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I had a 95 civic that got 36 mpg no matter how you drove it. I hate Hondas but I really miss that little car. Didn't care about it really so I could park anywhere and didn't worry about door dings did virtually no maintance on it. I'd still have it if it hasn't been totaled by some lady not paying attention and rear ending me running 50 mph -_-

Edit* forgot to mention mine was a base model roll up Windows no power steering but it did have a/c! I paid $1300 for it and got 2600 from the insurance company when they totaled it

Last edited:

Lightning Lad

Established Member
As much as it kills me inside to say it,an early 90's civic hatch is probably one of the best economy cars ever made.

MTBSully

Established Member
93-02 Saturn SL2.

Nailed it. In the last two months I have bought two saturn SL2's. SL1s are pretty much the same price and get better fuel economy.

2002 Saturn SL2: Bought for $400, drove 6000 miles without a single issue, sold for $1700.
2001 Saturn SL2: Bought for $700 and is in much better shape than the last one. probably worth $2000 plus.

This 2001 is my most recent. I got 34mpg on my last tank and that is an SL2 with an automatic. I did a water pump on my first one a few years back (1998 sl2) and it cost me $42 for all parts involved. They are stupid reliable, stupid cheap, get awesome fuel economy, and if and when they do break, they are stupid cheap to fix. I did brakes and oil change and an air freshener for $70 the other day.

Problem with civics, accords, etc is you pay the fast and furious premium for them. No one (really) mods saturns, so chances are you get a vehicle that hasnt been beat. Look at what $700 will get you with a civic: Rust, autozone LEDs, bondo, bald tires, 250k+ miles, oil leaks etc. What does $700 get you with these saturns? Lower (<150K) mileage, lower owner, no mods, never beat dead reliable commuter cars. Plus the entire body is plastic, so they never rust.

Rant over. I love these cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread