"reckless driving" for passing in double lines?

USMC-2-USN

Established Member
I got a ticket for reclesss driving alast night. I came up on a minivan going about 20MPH in a 40MPH zone so i passed them in a no passing zone. cop says i did it recklessly because there was oncoming traffic (which was WAYYY off). 5 cops showed up when he pulled me over and threatened to take me to jail for reckless driving???

I have to show up to gt fingerprinted, photographed, and booked in a few weeks and court date is 1.5 months from now

Is this a BS ticket? I admit that i did pass in a no passing zone, but to charge me with reckless driving? I didn't even break the speed limit. He said "i heard you coming and saw you do it" so apparentley does not have a radar reading anyway

What should i do?

stang2009

Banned
i had a reckless driving ticket without a radar on me too, and it was similiar to your situation (except the minivan was a Z06 lol) anyways, i lost my license for 120 days and had a number of fines, as well as insurance dropping me...so it was a headache. i would try to plea guilty to a lesser offense and see if they will drop the charges down a little...or else hire a lawyer and good luck :)

JDMach1

Established Member
2 cents worth!

I'm not sure about TN law, but in IL reckless driving is "Any person who drives any vehicle with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property", so if there was oncoming traffic it could fit the elements of the offense. In IL it is a class C Misdemeanor, which is an arrestable offense. As an officer, I imagine the officer who stopped you thought the way you passed was especially dangerous. He would not have to have any radar to substantiate the charge. In my experience, I would suggest trying to get court supervision and have the charge reduced to the passing lane violation. In IL, especially my county, this would be no problem unless you have a really bad driving record! You definately do not want a conviction for reckless driving on your record or against your insurance!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

MACH ON!!!:beer:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
What do you think the double yellow lines are for?
Stupid shit.
I'm 16 and even I am more responsible than that. Honk at the minivan, flash your lights, etc etc let him know you want to go past and he'll almost certainly pull over.
Don't be a shithead.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
83 LTD, there is no need for name calling and flaming.

Please refrain from that in this forum!

Ginsu

Established Member
Re: 2 cents worth!

JDMach1 said what I was going to. If your driving record is good, you can try to work out a deal with the prosecuter. Most will be willing to since that will clear one more case after calendar call. But if you are unable to make a deal then your next best bet is to hire a lawyer.

Now onto the soap box, one thing I learned early on when I was a Marine and still apply to my life. If I am going to do something that has a negative consequence I need to ask myself what could happen and am I willing to accept the outcome. If I decide to follow through with such act and I get nailed then I have no one to blame but myself.

Originally posted by JDMach1
I'm not sure about TN law, but in IL reckless driving is "Any person who drives any vehicle with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property", so if there was oncoming traffic it could fit the elements of the offense. In IL it is a class C Misdemeanor, which is an arrestable offense. As an officer, I imagine the officer who stopped you thought the way you passed was especially dangerous. He would not have to have any radar to substantiate the charge. In my experience, I would suggest trying to get court supervision and have the charge reduced to the passing lane violation. In IL, especially my county, this would be no problem unless you have a really bad driving record! You definately do not want a conviction for reckless driving on your record or against your insurance!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

MACH ON!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread