Recent Movie Reviews

canibus

Established Member
With some recent time off I set off my own movie marathon. Here are my reviews for some recent and some not so recent movies. All opinions welcome. If you have some reviews on movies that I didn't include, post them up.

Money Ball - 4 out of 5
Brad Pitt as always delivers. It might be a movie better suited for a baseball fan, but the quality of the movie should break that barrier for a broader audience.

50/50 - 4 out of 5
It Pulls on the heart strings, it's a good date movie. I think it would have been better had there not been a comedy angle, but at the same time the comedy of Seth Rogen is what brought the people in. So I'd say it was a good enough mix.

Drive - 4.5 out of 5
Only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because Ryan Gosslin as a bad ass still doesn't click. Coming from a bunch of love movies it's hard to see him in that role. Regardless the rest of the movie was bad ass.

The Devils Double - 5 out of 5
My favorite of the year.

The Hangover 2 - 1 out of 5
Terrible follow up. I literally laughed once.

Horrible Bosses - 2.5 out of 5
It was Meh, yet still funnier than hangover 2

Captain America The first Avenger - 3 out of 5
It was a bit boring, but then again captain america wasn't the most exciting marvel character.

Thor - 3.5 out of 5
I thought the idea of making this movie was stupid, but I was really surprised with how it turned out. The better of the superhero movies of 2011.

Green Lantern - 3 out of 5
I felt like it could've been a lot better, it was good but not to it's potential.

Ides Of march 4 out of 5
It's a slow movie, not for people who have no patience for a movie to develop. It ends a bit abruptly but a very enjoyable movie for people who are into political dramas.

The change up 3.5 out of 5
I really liked it and it was hilarious, but the story is played out and awfully predictable. It's still funny so it's worth checking out.

Killer Elite 4.5 out of 5
Really good story, great actors and tons of action. I would have made it a 5 but the Statham stunts ruin movies for me. Which is why I stayed away from the transporter movies.

Cowboys and Aliens 4 out of 5
I know it seems like a high score, but the movie was actually bad ass. Some of the actors sucked in it, but I think Ford and Craig did great. Give it a chance, it's not all that bad.

Warrior 4 out of 5
Great story, fights were pretty good, only downside is that they didn't extend the ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I saw some previews of Devil's Double and it looked awesome. Definitely need to catch that.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
i never understood the point movie reviews. just because someone thought one way about a movie doesn't mean all people will feel that way. i thought hangover 2 was awesome, and drive was horrible.

Planter

Banned
i saw Hall Pass last night, and I LOL'D during the whole thing.

5 out of 5.

as for Green Lantern, what a terrible movie. .5 out of 5.

same for Green Hornet.

haven't seen Captain America yet, wasn't impressed with the previews so was waiting for it to come out on DVD.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Both Green Lantern and Thor were eh's. They werent bad movies, but that sort of superhero is hard to portray in anything but cheesy in nature. Batman and Ironman, maybe even Spiderman and some Xmen characters, not really far fetched enough to not make them pretty goddamn realistic. Once you get to flying to different worlds, magical hammers and portals......shit gets real stupid real fast. I will say that given the lore behind superheroes like that, they did them to the best of their ability.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
Saw the new Sherlock Holmes last night. 4.5 out of 5. Movie starts out a little slow, but picks up very well. I actually liked it better than the first one. Some good humor thrown in there throughout the entire movie as well. Good story line too.

canibus

Established Member
i never understood the point movie reviews. just because someone thought one way about a movie doesn't mean all people will feel that way. i thought hangover 2 was awesome, and drive was horrible.

A review is merely an opinion. When you find a reviewer that you agree with consistently, then you know that his reviews on movies you haven't seen should be spot on. I watch movies and then rate them, I just hope that my taste in movies will one day be helpful to someone.

If you liked hangover 2, then you and I have polar opposite humor. I watched it for free and still feel like I got ripped off.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Saw the new Sherlock Holmes last night. 4.5 out of 5. Movie starts out a little slow, but picks up very well. I actually liked it better than the first one. Some good humor thrown in there throughout the entire movie as well. Good story line too.

good to hear. I got bored halfway through the first one, stopped watching 3/4 way through. I had lost all interest to see how it ended, which makes me sad because im a big Downey Jr fan.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
I saw "The Girl With the dragon Tatto" last night. Great movie. Music provided by Trent Reznor, so that was great too. My wife said it was better than the book.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I saw "The Girl With the dragon Tatto" last night. Great movie. Music provided by Trent Reznor, so that was great too. My wife said it was better than the book.

Not true by any means.

1. Book
2. Foreign Film
3. Finchers Film

It was GOOD, yes, but no where near expectations (IMO) and HOW did it take $100M to make it??? Must have been 25M in advertising alone.......

canibus

Established Member
I'm going to wait for the DVD. I saw the original a few years back and that one was an easy 5. So i'm kinda curious as to how well they did the american version, but not curious enough to pay for it. lol

musclefan21

Established Member
You forgot CHANGE UP

I died at laughing and probably annoyed everyone at the theater. Funniest move in a while in my opinion.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

+1. It was a great movie.

Hangover 2 was pretty funny. C'mon a monkey licking a tiny chineese dick, what's not funny about that?

Users who are viewing this thread