Received a Moving Violation for squealing my tires tonight...worth fighting it?

quad

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was out cruising tonight on a popular road in my area known for racing. There were a lot of fast cars on the road. I was at a red light with 3 other cars. When the light changed I took off a wee bit too fast and the tires squealed a little. Some of the other cars also took off quicker than usual but we never exceeded the speed limit. Unfortunately a cop was further back and I didn't see him. So he wrote me up for squealing my tires. I am thinking of fighting this in court. The cop had another officer with him in his car as witness.

My defense would be that I had traction control off because it is dangerous to drive with it on and the tires were wet because they were sprinkling the medians with water. We all know how easy the tires spin with a Terminator :shrug: For the record the tires did not squeal that much.

How many points would such a moving violation carry? Has anyone had success fighting a similar citation? I live in Michigan and the ticket is $110. I have 1 point (speeding) on my license which will go off in 3 months.

Thanks for any input / advice.

Last edited:

JimBowy

306ci's
Established Member
I also live in the Detroit Michigan area and curious as to where you were.
I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff, so I'll give you a *bump* anyhow.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
quad said:
My defense would be that I had traction control off because it is dangerous to drive with it on and the tires were wet because they were sprinkling the medians with water. We all know how easy the tires spin with a Terminator :shrug: For the record the tires did not squeal that much.

You will probably be cited for driving too fast for conditions if you use that defense. If the road is wet and you are squeeling the tires, that's a "too fast for conditions" charge in itself.

Whether the road is wet or dry, there is a way to cite you for spinning the tires. If the road is dry, it's considered wreckless driving. If the road is wet, it's considered wreckless driving and/or too fast for conditions.

The fact that you had your traction control turned off will not hold up in court. By saying that you had the traction control turned off, you're telling the court that you believe it's acceptable to spin your tires as long as your traction control is turned off. :nono: Whether your traction control is on or off, you are responsible as a licensed motorist to operate your vehicle in a lawful manner. Any deviation from the law, regardless as to how small it may seem, is grounds for a citation.

Bottom Line: There really isn't an easy way out. I'd recommend paying the fine and moving on. I'm not a cop, but this stuff seems like common sense to me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

speederdoc

Established Member
Every ticket is worth fighting. Your chances of getting off by paying the ticket are zero. Your chances of getting off by going to court are ____(higher than zero).

Insurance costs enough without extra penalties added on. Anything can happen in court.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
This situation reminds me of something that happened to me yesterday.

I was about to make a left hand turn and there was a pickup truck coming at me in the oncoming traffic lane. At first it looked like I had plenty of time to make the turn, so I proceeded.

However, mid-way through my turn I realized that the pickup was going way too fast (probably about 65 in a 45). I think he may have actually sped up. I panicked and applied more throttle to help get me the hell outta there. Apparently it was a bit too much since I squeeled the tires and kicked out the rear a little (oops!).

I immediately feathered back on the gas, and got through the intersection safely, long before the a-hole in the pickup (who never bothered to slow down) crashed into me.

Now, if there was a cop around, would I have gotten a ticket? Anyone who owns these cars knows that sometimes wheelspin can happen. I didn't do it on purpose.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
pwnt04 said:
...If the road is dry, it's considered wreckless driving. If the road is wet, it's considered wreckless driving and/or too fast for conditions...

I have NEVER heard of such a thing in MI. Depending on how badly you "fishtail," I could cite you for any of the following: squealing tires, violation of basic speed law, careless, or even reckless (not "wreckless"), regardless of the weather conditions.

Don't take this the wrong way pwnt04, but if you're not a cop, please don't comment on other states' traffic or criminal codes unless you absolutely know the law. It helps curb the false information that gets around to people asking for help - that's all. :)

Ok, for quad. Sounds like maybe you were on Telegraph? In any event, look at the back of the citation - there should be three choices on there instructing you how to handle it (in case the cop didn't go over that with you): A) admit responsibility for the civil infraction B) admit responsibility “with explanation” or C) deny responsibility. If you wish to fight the ticket, you will have to mark off the box "deny responsibility" and then request an informal/formal hearing.

You can find out the number of points and the cost of the fine by contacting the court (info should be at the bottom of the citation). Simply ask the clerk who answers the phone about the points/fine details for the offense.

As fas as advice on what to do in your specific situation, I would say it's worth contesting because of the circumstances (due to the rain) - but I wouldn't get my hopes up for getting it dismissed.

If the officer does not appear, it will get dismissed. However, if he shows up you could try to talk to the prosecutor and/or the cop before the hearing starts to explain your situation and ask them to perhaps lower the offense to "impeding traffic" or another lesser infraction that does not carry points. Some prosecutors will work with people, while others will not budge at all.

Also consider you will have to take time off from work and/or pay court costs - paying the ticket could be a much cheaper alternative (depending on if your insurance increases later on down the road as a result of this infraction). These are all things to consider...you'll have to decide which route you wish to take and go from there. G'luck.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
Don't take this the wrong way pwnt04, but if you're not a cop, please don't comment on other states' traffic or criminal codes unless you absolutely know the law. It helps curb the false information that gets around to people asking for help - that's all. :)

No offense taken but I'm just saying the way it is in Illinois. I know people that have been cited for both offenses in Illinois. My neighbor is a cop so I've asked him a question or two. ;-)

quad

Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
I have NEVER heard of such a thing in MI. Depending on how badly you "fishtail," I could cite you for any of the following: squealing tires, violation of basic speed law, careless, or even reckless (not "wreckless"), regardless of the weather conditions.

Ok, for quad. Sounds like maybe you were on Telegraph? In any event, look at the back of the citation - there should be three choices on there instructing you how to handle it (in case the cop didn't go over that with you): A) admit responsibility for the civil infraction B) admit responsibility “with explanation” or C) deny responsibility. If you wish to fight the ticket, you will have to mark off the box "deny responsibility" and then request an informal/formal hearing.

You can find out the number of points and the cost of the fine by contacting the court (info should be at the bottom of the citation). Simply ask the clerk who answers the phone about the points/fine details for the offense.

As fas as advice on what to do in your specific situation, I would say it's worth contesting because of the circumstances (due to the rain) - but I wouldn't get my hopes up for getting it dismissed.

If the officer does not appear, it will get dismissed. However, if he shows up you could try to talk to the prosecutor and/or the cop before the hearing starts to explain your situation and ask them to perhaps lower the offense to "impeding traffic" or another lesser infraction that does not carry points. Some prosecutors will work with people, while others will not budge at all.

Also consider you will have to take time off from work and/or pay court costs - paying the ticket could be a much cheaper alternative (depending on if your insurance increases later on down the road as a result of this infraction). These are all things to consider...you'll have to decide which route you wish to take and go from there. G'luck.

Thanks for the advice! I take it you're an officer or have been one?

It was actually on Gratiot.

kylez28

Established Member
Not to be offensive or anything, but why is squeeling your tires against the law? I can understand if you're fish-tailing it, or sitting there with smoke rolling from a stop sign. I also got a ticket for squeeling my tires, and I did it at a four-way stop when a cop and myself were deciding who should go. He waved me on and I tried to get out of the way and gave it like 1/8-1/4 throttle and my tires spun in some loose rocks and then preceeded to chirp, and he flipped on his lights and gave me a ticket. I didn't even hear the rocks under my tire, but I guess it's too late now because i'm sitting here with a suspended license for 30-days :( I guess i'll be accelerating at 1500 RPM for the next 2 years lol.

Although I just want to know what squeeling your tires hurt. I don't mean laying patches, I mean just chirping your tires...

jspoon54

Established Member
I was out cruising tonight on a popular road in my area known for racing. There were a lot of fast cars on the road. I was at a red light with 3 other cars. When the light changed I took off a wee bit too fast and the tires squealed a little.

In my city squealing tires is covered under excessive noise and carries o points. call the local court for fines / points. BTW you are on a road known for racing, would you have been involved in any racing? if you hadn't been pulled over? remember a drag racing ticket costs much more, carries 4 points and the officer can forfeit your car (here in Wayne county) Only you know what was happening or may have happened that night.

be safe

Some of these guys crack me up here, I have a 03 cobra and the rear tires have never just broke loose by themselves. We all know what make the wheels spin!

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Improper start. The only ticket I did not fight. Got on my insurance. It will pay off fighting it with a lawyer in the long run.

SHOLANDO

Established Member
Challange the ticket. Set up a court date, and try and get is postponed a couple of times (if possible). Hopefully the cop will be reassigned to a desk job where he probably belongs and he won't be in court that day. When you do go to court, take some picture of the intersection and put on a tie, the judges eat that stuff up. Show respect to the court and it will pay off for you. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread