Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It came from Florida but was given to me with a certificate of salvage out of Illinois, was not reregistered for obvious reasons. I know it will be a headache but I did not drag it 1k miles home to scrap it. I will save it. I want to see what I can do with the frame. If I can somehow go to a shop and assist in the processes or if I rent the equipment and do the work with the guidance of a pro that will be the best option. When it comes to people saying part it out and scrap it. This will fall on deaf ears. I am too hard-headed. I don't see it as a headache I see it as a way to keep me occupied outside of school. Il keeps all of you updated as things move along.
You really revealed a lot about your mindset in that post. I'm not ragging on you, but I AM prodding you to listen more to the advice given to you by many in this thread. You seem to ignore most of that great advice and, well, stubbornly and blindly push forward. I get that you want to "save" it, but there is so much that you haven't considered, and it seems, don't want to. The concerns for what you're doing have all been posted so I'm not going to re-post them.

Have you talked to your motor vehicle department to get an absolute confirmation that when you finish the project the car can be legally titled, registered, and insured?

dragrazor

Established Member
You really revealed a lot about your mindset in that post. I'm not ragging on you, but I AM prodding you to listen more to the advice given to you by many in this thread. You seem to ignore most of that great advice and, well, stubbornly and blindly push forward. I get that you want to "save" it, but there is so much that you haven't considered, and it seems, don't want to. The concerns for what you're doing have all been posted so I'm not going to re-post them.

Have you talked to your motor vehicle department to get an absolute confirmation that when you finish the project the car can be legally titled, registered, and insured?
^^^^^^^ Shouldn’t that be the first step? It seems to me that the advice given to the OP is solid. He says that he is hard headed. Knowing what I know now at the young age of 52, I would probably follow the advice of selling all I can and putting it into a more solid investment. There will be time for projects down the road when all your other responsibilities(life) have been sorted out. You may not see it now but this will be a long project and my guess is that you will get bored quick seeing that you are in a bit of a hurry. This will take years if done right. I commend you for your passion but as the other salty sea dogs like myself are telling you, get your priorities straight before getting into this project. I don’t know what else to say other than I wish you luck and hope you don’t get in over your head with this. Find out if you can title it before you do anything else. And remember, resale value takes a hit on a rebuilt title car. Ask me how I know.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
If prefer to let it just sit before I scrap it. I never buy a car for an investment. Most rare cars I buy I never intend to sell. I might build a table out of a 4.6 SOHC I have laying around and use the profits to invest into something and create a method to make money to pay for parts.
I also have some ferrari parts I can make into a clock. Stuff like that may be what I do to fund the project. I built a table out of a Mazda rotary engine made a few hundred on that.

FJohnny

Established Member
I also have some ferrari parts I can make into a clock. Stuff like that may be what I do to fund the project.
Thanks for an actual LOL. You're killin' me, man!

If you can make a clock out of Ferrari parts that would be great. But it seems to me if you can do that you can just as easily make a Ferrari out of clock parts.

Then you'd have a Ferrari. Sell it and buy a Cobra.

Fun thread in any case. Keep it up.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for an actual LOL. You're killin' me, man!

If you can make a clock out of Ferrari parts that would be great. But it seems to me if you can do that you can just as easily make a Ferrari out of clock parts.

Then you'd have a Ferrari. Sell it and buy a Cobra.

Fun thread in any case. Keep it up.

SVTP is rubbing off on you Johnny.

Very mean and sarcastic that post was.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If prefer to let it just sit before I scrap it. I never buy a car for an investment. Most rare cars I buy I never intend to sell. I might build a table out of a 4.6 SOHC I have laying around and use the profits to invest into something and create a method to make money to pay for parts.
I also have some ferrari parts I can make into a clock. Stuff like that may be what I do to fund the project. I built a table out of a Mazda rotary engine made a few hundred on that.
For a student making $12.00 per hour, you're doing pretty well. So.....how many cars have you bought in your young life?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
For a student making $12.00 per hour, you're doing pretty well. So.....how many cars have you bought in your young life?
I have my IS300 Sportcross, and the Cobra. People don't realize that my past overshadows the current. I have never had it easy. What People don't realize is that I have held 5 different jobs all in automotive. As small as my current job at an auto parts store, but the last one was not a small deal. I worked for Chip Ganassi Racing in the Fabrication and machine shop. I was taught to Tig weld by some of the best. Justin was my main teacher. He was the chassis builder at John Force Racing.
My first job was at a Lexus dealership as a porter, then I did a short stint in carbon composites, then moved to a ferrari challenge team as a shop hand, after that I went to Chip Ganassi Racing working at the Indycar and IMSA shop in the fab and machine side. Then went to my current job. I don't make much but current still in high school living with my parents it makes it so besides taxes I keep everything. I had around 3k in savings, that was until the transmission in the IS300 let go and that killed it but im slowly rebuilding it. And my comment about 8k for the ecu and body controller, that was not entirely correct. 8k covers a scratch built harness, all the controllers, everything working, a highly advanced tracton control system that would be able to be adjusted, it would use tire temp, wheel speed on each wheel, steering angle and more to pull timing to prevent tracton loss, and install, and probably tuning. For around 8k. Not to mention a state of the art engine control program that would monitor the AFR and temperature in each cylinder and correct the fuel maps on the fly.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
And my comment about 8k for the ecu and body controller, that was not entirely correct. 8k covers a scratch built harness, all the controllers, everything working, a highly advanced tracton control system that would be able to be adjusted, it would use tire temp, wheel speed on each wheel, steering angle and more to pull timing to prevent tracton loss, and install, and probably tuning. For around 8k. Not to mention a state of the art engine control program that would monitor the AFR and temperature in each cylinder and correct the fuel maps on the fly.
So you're gonna enter this car into the F1 circuit? That just seems like a whole lot of overkill. Want traction control? Use your right foot. Just saved you 8k

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
High schooler who can’t hold a job but wants to commit to fully rebuilding a salvaged/wrecked car with more technology than what it came with. A project that will take years. On a current hourly wage that is increasingly becoming less than minimum wage in most states. Add to that, all the other adult things coming your way.

Dude, you have way bigger fish to fry than this car. I wish you luck. You will need it and more to pull this unnecessary endeavor off. What do I or anyone else know?

Glad it isn’t my money.

decipha

Established Member
been there done that heres the best advice youll ever receive in your entire life

pieces parts are going to cost you several grand so factor that in as expenses you cant avoid like suspension, windshield, trim, ac components, tires, brakes, belts, hoses, vac lines, gaskets, filters, lubricants, fasteners, hose clamps, zip ties, cleaning supplies, paint, sand paper, clutch kit, etc.. the list goes on

thats what you need to focus your budget on

keep it simple and dont wait for anything.
work with what you have and make it go as quickly as possible

so best bet is to get yourself a running gt or 6 cyl stang and swap everything over.

Fire your tuner as you dont need them. Stock ecu is your cheapest fastest and best option. $250 for a moates quarterhorse and you can disable theft yourself. Stock = tune done.

After its going usually you can schedule an appointment at your local highway patrol and get a rebuilt title very easily. They usually only check for trivial things like window tint and broken lamps, catalytic converters and such. They give you a slip you bring to the dmv and file for a title.

Then you can source a 4v preferably boosted later down the line and go from there. Just cobra sc stuff to convert to a blower on an na 4v will cost several grand itself. Always cheaper to find a complete cobra setup if you can wait. Otherwise expect to spend 20k minimum for what your wanting to do currently and with the way parts are now your looking at least 7 years minimum to complete this project if you want it to be how you want it right now. No way your going to keep interest in her that long.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wait! You're still in high school, and you've held 5 jobs in the automotive field? "My first job was at a Lexus dealership as a porter, then I did a short stint in carbon composites, then moved to a ferrari challenge team as a shop hand, after that I went to Chip Ganassi Racing working at the Indycar and IMSA shop in the fab and machine side. Then went to my current job (at an auto parts store)". That's quite a (2 year?) resume!

Users who are viewing this thread