Rebuilding differential with extra clutches: Still worth doing with carbon clutches?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
It's not GT500 specific, but I figured this would be the crowd that would have the most knowledge. I've rebuilt my share of trak lok's using the traditional clutches with adding the extra 2. Is that worth doing with Carbon clutches or is everyone just keeping the 3 and shimming a bit tighter? You don't hear much and I've done my searching up and down with seeing posts that it can be done, but nobody is claiming they have.

I'm asking here vs. GT forum as I'm setting up a set of gears for my friends 14 GT. Housing is bent so he got a complete unit. I'm using new 3.73 FR gear set with a new FR 8.8 31 spline housing which has the carbons. Just not sure if it's worth me adding an extra pair (I have a spare pair of carbons) or consensus is to leave it be.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I guess I’m not reaching the populous but hoping someone can shed some opinions.

FWIW, I’m headed to SEMA in a few weeks do hopefully someone can give me some advice on what to see there regarding these cars. :)

69b302

Established Member
I would say the tru trac is the option most street/strip cars go with when the stock diff breaks, or wears the clutches out vs a rebuild of the traction loc.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Depends on what the diff is being used for. If drag racing, the Trak lok or a spool is prefered. Ive heard of the True Tracs (as similar to the 13-14 PP diff) are great for road course work but cant take the abuse of drag racing.

As for the carbon clutch packs, I rebuilt mine last year and didnt add any friction modifier to the Amsoil 75w-140 Severe Gear. I used the standard amount that came in the FRPP carbon clutch service kit.

So far Im pleased with the results on the street. Ive only got 3 1/4 mile passes on them, but my burnouts felt consistent and no hint of traction favoring one side or 1 tire fires.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Thanks guys. So will leave the new unit as is. It’s truly Street car so this should be good for him.

Users who are viewing this thread