Rebuild? Whipple 2.9

VNMUS03

Established Member
Bone stock cobra with a bad head gasket now. That’s the conclusion ford came to at least. I’m inclined to believe I have bad rings in cyl 5 too due to a compression test that read low on that cylinder but picked up after some oil was put in the chamber.

Question to you guys.
I want to get a 2.9 Whipple probably non crusher (to stay in budget) and get the problem I have fixed. I have a budget of 12k so not too sure how to go about this. Not sure if the budget will span for an upgraded bottom end and the Whipple.

Advice welcomed

Wanting around 700rwhp I think that’s still pretty streetable

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How much work will you be doing yourself? That'll make a big difference in the budget. If you're going to rebuild I'd get it apart first and see what it needs and go from there. We can give you all kinds of ideas, but most will be worthless without knowing what's actually wrong.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Rebuilt short block with better pistons and since its apart have the heads redone. Should be able to get all that done with the 2.9 for 12k.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Bone stock cobra ........Wanting around 700rwhp I think that’s still pretty streetable

To add the Whipple and the needed supporting mods, set aside about $10,000 if your gonna pay someone to do it

For a street car, strongly consider a VMP. I've had all the blowers.

VNMUS03

Established Member
To add the Whipple and the needed supporting mods, set aside about $10,000 if your gonna pay someone to do it

For a street car, strongly consider a VMP. I've had all the blowers.
The vmp 3rd gen 2.65? Besides having to adjust the crossover tube on this blower. What’s the big diff between this and the 2.9 3rd gen Whipple

Users who are viewing this thread