Reasonable Price for Machine Work?

TRMN8RCRIS

Established Member
I ended up going with my gut feeling and I'm taking my disassembled motor from a machine shop I have been having trouble with and ultimately just don't trust building my motor anymore. I am supplying the parts to the new shop and they take care of the machining and assembly. This is the quote I got from them, is this a fair reasonable price?[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Labor is:

A-hone
CNC deck
CNC bore
TQ plate hone
Wash for assembly
Blue print assembly
Total $2250

That is if they don't touch the heads, the shop I first took my motor to said the heads were fine but I would like them have it checked out anyways to be sure.

Thanks!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It is a bit on the high side, but based on what is going on, not out of line.

TRMN8RCRIS

Established Member
Hmmm, my block has been bored .020 over but I am not sure if the machine shop used a torque plate when they did so. I'll have to ask Monday when they open, i'm on the fence right now on switching over to a teksid. I am also thinking about just shipping it to L&M and have them rebuild it but not to sure if I'll be able to afford their services.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That seems very much on the high side. Of course you're in CA and I'm in MO so it might not be a fair comparison, everything's more expensive over there. I'd at least shop around on those numbers.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
for that price I'd be expecting removal and re-installation of the built motor. The shop decks,bores and align hone for a few hundred bucks, this shop obviously paid a LOT for their machines and are trying to break some of that off in your arrse.. Sunnen manually operated equipment is the best in my opinion, all this computer program crap is gonna render talented people obsolete and jobs will suffer..

Wiseguy

Established Member
Are they balancing also? Are some procedures missing that you listed? 1800.00 is average depending... It you don't trust them you gotta move on..

Users who are viewing this thread