Reasonable Estimate for Concrete Curb Work?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I have obtained my city's approval to add a new "Depressed Curb Driveway Approach" onto the sidewalk that surrounds my property, where none had existed before. I am not allowed to do this work myself because the Public Works Encroachment Permit requires the contractor to have at least a C-8 certification.

The total size of the approach will be 21' x 6.5'. There is currently a 4.5' sidewalk, a 6 inch curb, and a 1.5' gutter. The sloped sides of the approach will be 3' each, leaving a center flat section of 15' to drive up. I have the option to lessen the angle of the approach slope by creating another 3' onto the property (for a total parkway of 8'), but it isn't necessary. I know that it would increase the total cost of the project significantly.

City code requires the removal of 6 - 12 inches of the existing street asphalt for the entire length of the approach, and having an asphalt patch done.

How much should I be looking at for a job like this? So far, the concrete contractors who have given me estimates are much, much higher than what the national average for sidewalk work seems to be listed as.

Thanks for any insight...

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If your quoted prices are within 10% of each other, then that average is what you can expect to pay at a min. Curb Cuts as they are referred to here range from 15k to 20k for the size you described. The price is nowhere near the cost of sidewalk as that is for pedestrian traffic and free floats with surrounding grades. Once concrete construction attaches to municipal road it is a whole different animal. The apron must now be designed to accept vehicle traffic loads and also not to move depending on weather conditions. Variables that come into play are these:

Traffic control during construction ?

Pedestrian control?

Bond purchases?

Demo restriction times?

Dump fees for spoils?

Specs for base materials?

Start and completion Windows?

Onsite engineer or inspector during pour?

Core samples?

EPA certified washout container.

Runoff and storm sewer protection.

Batch plant for asphalt may only make the patch mix you need when there are other larger orders.

Contractors may have additional things to contend with not listed.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tistan

Established Member
Why do you have to take out the asphalt? We cut the gutter where it meets the asphalt and break it out. Not only does it seem like extra work, asphalt patches are unsightly. I'm glad I'm not in Commiefornia.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If your quoted prices are within 10% of each other, then that average is what you can expect to pay at a min. Curb Cuts as they are referred to here range from 15k to 20k for the size you described. The price is nowhere near the cost of sidewalk as that is for pedestrian traffic and free floats with surrounding grades. Once concrete construction attaches to municipal road it is a whole different animal. The apron must now be designed to accept vehicle traffic loads and also not to move depending on weather conditions. Variables that come into play are these:

Traffic control during construction ?

Pedestrian control?

Bond purchases?

Demo restriction times?

Dump fees for spoils?

Specs for base materials?

Start and completion Windows?

Onsite engineer or inspector during pour?

Core samples?

EPA certified washout container.

Runoff and storm sewer protection.

Batch plant for asphalt may only make the patch mix you need when there are other larger orders.

Contractors may have additional things to contend with not listed.

Good luck.

Wow, $15K-$20K is a lot of money for a homeowner to spend, but I can understand it based on everything you mentioned. Not anywhere near what typical sidewalk work would cost.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Yeah, it sure is CobraBob! Lol. My gf thinks I'm nuts for wanting to do this, but being a car guy, what's better than a place to put more vehicles right? As LOOKnGO mentioned, dealing with the municipality's property must be a whole n'other animal.

As far as the asphalt, I'm not sure why. I don't think all my surrounding cities are like that. The first contractor I spoke to wanted to do a clean "horizontal back-cut" method (uses a big saw on a truck), but apparently my particular city does not allow that, so he didn't want to get involved.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
OP is really fortunate to be able to already have permission and or permit. That is half the battle around the DC metro area, particularly second entrance. If the State gets involved chances diminish. The EPA was out just to clean the truck at the end of the small pour can cost $750 to $1500 thanks go to the last administration.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
OP is really fortunate to be able to already have permission and or permit. That is half the battle around the DC metro area, particularly second entrance. If the State gets involved chances diminish. The EPA was out just to clean the truck at the end of the small pour can cost $750 to $1500 thanks go to the last administration.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I was surprised and thrilled they gave me permission. Really was not expecting it - that's why I want to jump on it before they change their minds! Should help the property's resale value down the road, too.

Users who are viewing this thread