Rear wheel bearing

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,

Sorry for posting again, but have another issue. Just got back from convalescent leave and dropped my car off to have it looked at its been wondering and sometimes violently veering left or right especially when changing lanes. Anyway I thought it might of been from loose tie rods or front suspension. However, the mechanic said the front looks fine except for the ball joints that have cracked boots and a little play. But he said the rear wheel bearings are bad and had a lot of play in them and they need to be replaced. He said it would be about 6 hours of labor and cost for parts and labor was around $560. However, I need to verify with them before they start tomorrow but I think that is just for the bearing and doubt it will be ford parts.
From doing research on here and watching videos, it seems like the jobs is not that intense mainly finding a press for getting the bearings in and out. And that we should only use the ford bearings because they are roller bearings and that the rotor hub assembly should also be replaced. So I am thinking that I might just cancel on having them do it and do it myself, it seems for the ford parts it would be around $400 for ford hubs and bearings. Anything else I should replace and do the hubs need to be replaced also?

I am just trying to get opinions on this, I want it done right the first time and not have to worry about it again for a long time. I plan on putting on either a Twin screw or Turbo in the no to distant future.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I did mine in my garage. I was swapping halfshafts and figured since I was in there I might as well swap the 100K bearings. Since my luck is usually after I'm done the bearing will go out. It wasn't too bad. I picked up Timken bearings. The biggest issue I had was setting up the proper support for the knuckle. I'd at least plan on new boots for the cross axis joints. Those are usually tore up. I regreased mine and installed boots I picked up from FTBR. I imagine that as long as the hubs are in good shape they can be reused. Check the splines and look for any cracking.

R15393

Established Member
I realize it may not apply, but I'll proceed. I did the replacement once by myself. It's surely wasn't a hard job. Idk what brand I threw in there but it came from oreillys and lasted another 50k before I sold car. The reason mine went bad was the axle nut on drivers side worked it's way loose. You might just find out axle nut is loose. Again it my not apply to your issue. But we people say NEVER reuse the axle nut, listen to them. Bearing was $40 and the guy who pressed it in charged me $30. My car only had 517rwhp if that matters.

MG0h3

Established Member
You'll need a press or have to pay a shop to do it. Summit has Ford bearings and Hubs

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hey guys,

Sorry for posting again, but have another issue. Just got back from convalescent leave and dropped my car off to have it looked at its been wondering and sometimes violently veering left or right especially when changing lanes. Anyway I thought it might of been from loose tie rods or front suspension. However, the mechanic said the front looks fine except for the ball joints that have cracked boots and a little play. But he said the rear wheel bearings are bad and had a lot of play in them and they need to be replaced. He said it would be about 6 hours of labor and cost for parts and labor was around $560. However, I need to verify with them before they start tomorrow but I think that is just for the bearing and doubt it will be ford parts.
From doing research on here and watching videos, it seems like the jobs is not that intense mainly finding a press for getting the bearings in and out. And that we should only use the ford bearings because they are roller bearings and that the rotor hub assembly should also be replaced. So I am thinking that I might just cancel on having them do it and do it myself, it seems for the ford parts it would be around $400 for ford hubs and bearings. Anything else I should replace and do the hubs need to be replaced also?

I am just trying to get opinions on this, I want it done right the first time and not have to worry about it again for a long time. I plan on putting on either a Twin screw or Turbo in the no to distant future.

Thanks guys,

Bob

You only need to replace bearing..not hub..

Timken is fine..any parts store..100 bucks for pair..

Harbor freight. .

12 ton press and bearing puller and metal plates est.200

Time to pull and replace with all hand tools..2 hrs per side

Hardest part I feel is parking brake cable..

Than some ramdom size metal blocks and things to use when pressing out old bearing..going together is so much easier tho.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
definitely try to do it yourself.

depending on how long you have been driving on the damaged bearing there is a possibility that it may have done damage to the hub, but that is pretty rare. best of luck with it

Users who are viewing this thread