Rear wheel bearing (Moser M9)

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT500 with a moser M9 rear. There was a whistling noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I took the axle shaft out to look at the bearing (see pics). It feels like there might be a bit of resistance when turning the bearing by hand. The inner race looks like it’s got scorched (?) grease on it, but I don’t see any scoring.

Question: would you just buy a new bearing from moser, bring it to a machine shop to press on the axle, then button it back up? Any other concerns?

Thanks

06507C12-2B9C-4A01-AB59-BC9B2A948CE3.jpeg

F09FD451-D525-49D4-9961-5959C48958B6.jpeg

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
What is going on in this area? It appears to be freshly worn with metal shavings. Is that wear just from the seal, or is there another bearing inside the axle tube?

fresh wear and metal shavings.jpeg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That whole end of the axle doesn't look right. The inner race on this style axle is pressed on to the axle. The axle doesn't ride on the rollers themselves like in an 8.8. The scorched part I see is the outer race. And it looks like it might have been spinning in the housing. I would reach out to Moser. I think there's more than just a bad bearing here.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
What is going on in this area? It appears to be freshly worn with metal shavings. Is that wear just from the seal, or is there another bearing inside the axle tube?

I think that’s where the axle contacts the grease seal. I don’t think those are shavings but I’ll look closer. There’s no other bearings inside the axle tube on that end.

I’ll see what moser suggests. Thanks guys.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
To follow up on this for future searches:

I talked to Moser. They said the shiny part is just where the axle rides on the grease seal. I bought a new bearing and retaining collar and had a local shop press it on. Bearing was 35 bucks and labor was 25. I buttoned it back up tonight and will test it out ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread