Rear tire sidewall bulge.

tomf

Established Member
One of my rear tires on my '07 GT500 has a gouge in the sidewall and is starting to bulge.
The rears are 285 55 18. I have an extra front tire and rim 255 45 18. Would it be ok to put that on the rear without causing any problems, to drive it to the tire shop 6 miles away. I'm having all the tires replaced, they need it.

Last edited:

SCALILOU

Established Member
55 on the rear? Damn, that's a 30" tire.

I wouldn't put that front wheel set up with that 30" rear. Too much difference in diameter. You'd have a 27" wheel on one side with a 30" wheel on the other. It might be OK on just a short 6 mile drive, but I wouldn't risk the wheel bearings getting damaged.

Maybe just try drive it nice and easy 6 miles to the shop? Or remove the wheels and take them as singles? I have a second car (SUV), so I always take my wheels as singles and leave my car at home. I have them mount the tires, balance them and take them back home.

I had a bad experience at a shop when a knucklehead cross threaded one of my wheel studs and I didn't become aware of it until the next time I had to remove the wheel. I had to torch the lug nut off. After replacing the stud, I try to not have shop personnel remove my wheels if I don't have to.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

railroad

Established Member
The wheel bearing will never know if you have a 10" and a 30" wheel. The differential WILL. It will put excessive wear on the clutch pack, if applicable rear. Longer distances will create high heat due to the side and spider gears constantly spinning. In short, do not do it.
Option, put 2 rear tires on the rear.

ToddW702

Established Member
I wouldn’t do it either. Like stated above it is the differential that will take the beating. The bigger the difference in size the more the diff will be worked.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
One of my rear tires on my '07 GT500 has a gouge in the sidewall and is starting to bulge.
The rears are 285 55 18. I have an extra front tire and rim 255 45 18. Would it be ok to put that on the rear without causing any problems, to drive it to the tire shop 6 miles away. I'm having all the tires replaced, they need it.

The difference in a 255 tire height and a 285 is quite a bit and is going to cause issue with the positraction unit in your 8.8, one side is shorter (less diameter, the 255) and the 255 is going to spin more times per mile because of that alone. I would take the bad tire/wheel off and bring it to your local tire shop and have them install correct replacement, reinstall the new tire/wheel and then drive your car.

R

Jus Cruisin

Established Member
I'd pull the wheels off and take them to the tire store.
20201026_123739~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread