Rear Spring Problem

Stablehand

Established Member
Just bought a '96 Cobra, 65,000 miles. Has a noticeable droop on driver's side viewed from the back. Also has a cable fix (Cable wrappped around rear stabliizer bar) that the dealer said eliminates wheel hop. Seems obvious prior driver was a real lard ass or hammered the throttle a lot. I think the latter. Any thoughts on a fix? New springs, etc.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'd say springs and shocks if you can afford it. You may also want to check and see if the rear sway-bar has been replaced. In the earlier 4.6 Cobras it was breaking. Especially in the 96-97 models. That tie-up thing sounds like someone is trying to hide it. It usually breaks right at the bolt hole. They might be tying it up to hide a crack.

Stablehand

Established Member
Thanks for the assessment. I think you're right on. I'll put the car on stands this weekend and take a closer look. A new sway bar, springs and shocks are probably the right fix. Bought the car in a hurry Sunday AM and was trying to get over the pass and out of Western Washington. Do Cobras have a number plate like the Bullitts identifying what car number it is?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
No, but call 1-800-FORDSVT and they'll give you a number to fax proof of ownership (like registration or insurance) and by the VIN, they'll send you a certificate with build date and build number...

Congrats on your Cobra!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You may be lucky and still have the build sheet in the car still. Mine on my 96 & 97 was behind the passenger side headlight and down in the bumper. There is a little place you can reach from under the car, kinda like a storage area. ;-) It has the body color codes, options, build number etc. Still call the # Jimbo gave you though, this way you get that KOOL certificate of authenticity from Ford. Let us know when you get the certificate and how your minor bugs were fixed.

SC Cobra

Established Member
i agree with gr8white, new springs and shocks would do the trick, but i got a question too, if i were to the 95 cobra r rear springs on my cobra, would that drop the rear end more or will it leave it the same?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the R was a bit lower. Not sure how much though. Also keep in mind those springs are not for the faint of heart and are matched to the Koni reds. ;-)

yellow98cobra

Established Member
the cobra r's will drop it about 7/8" according to ford. if you can afford these go with the steeda. i have stage 1,2,3 susp. kits and i like them alot (second car i've bought them for). just my.02.

Stablehand

Established Member
Well, I finally put the car up on jacks and pulled the broken sway bar out. Got a new Ford bar for $108 - the '98 version which someone said was a good fix. The droop on the left rear was imaginary. Must have been the way the car was sitting that day... What prompted me to finally reach under the car and rank on the bar to see if it was broken was a brief encounter with a Bullitt.
He pulled up next to me at a light on 21st and when it turned green, with no apparent spinning of tires pulled a length a half on me............ I had just pulled my car out of the garage where it had been sitting for a week at 27-30degrees and the tires were hard as rocks. I say this because the Cobra crabbed to the left, tires spinning and not until half way through 2nd did I pull even with him. That's when I decided to check that sway bar that I supected of being broken.

Stablehand

Established Member
I didn't finish. Just so that this never happens again, I want to turn up the heat on the Cobra to improve launches. What mechanical mods would you guys suggest.
By the way, I sold my Bullitt in November and unmodified, they don't pull as hard a Cobra so part of the problem might be "the driver", cold tires and a broken sway bar.

Stablehand

Established Member
Working on Traction

Well, I replaced the broken rear stabilizer bar and the '96 Cobra launches straight now. No big surprise. :burnout:
However, even with a lot of heat in the Toyos, they don't hookup well. The Schwaub guys said they are a little on the hard side. I'm thinking I might try a set of shocks that Steeda puts in one of their kits with a five setting variable race and street control. These are suppose to provide adjustment for the front shocks allowing the front end rise for launch and then can be reset for normal driving. Maybe just a better set of tires would answer. :-? Anybody got any thoughts. Can't let that Bullitt get the jump on me any more.

Users who are viewing this thread