Rear Seat Delete WITH seatbelts?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Hey guys -
Been looking at building a rear seat delete (yes, I know there are 100s of post about this).

My question is for those of you who have done this. The bottom section - does it sit low enough to feed the seat belt receptacles through so the seat belts can still be used?

I still drive some small kids around (car carrier, seats/boosters) from time to time so I NEED to keep the seat belts. But every delete I see has them removed or tucked under the bottom section.

Do they stick up far enough where they could feed through and still be used? If the seat belts can't be utilized (or if I can't find a work around, I'm gonna have to scrap the idea.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
I agree with weather man, if you are going to be transporting small kids, keep the seats! I have 2 small kids and cannot wait to get rid of the rear seat, but until I have a new DD, I'm resigned to the fact that the seats have to stay.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I'm totally OK with keeping the seats for safety, but how is the seat any safer than a rear seat delete while keeping the belts?
Not being a smart ass...legit question. If I get rear ended, I can't see the seats offering any more protection than not.
Again, not being a smart ass....

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'm totally OK with keeping the seats for safety, but how is the seat any safer than a rear seat delete while keeping the belts?
Not being a smart ass...legit question. If I get rear ended, I can't see the seats offering any more protection than not.
Again, not being a smart ass....

They are properly padded and the seat belts are designed to work them. Put a rear seat delete in and kid gets hurt...you would always wonder.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm confused

If you have people, especially children that ride in the rear of your vehicle, why would you take their seat away? I'm sure some plywood (what most seat deletes are made of) is Far from comfortable, aside from the aforementioned safety concerns....

Just keep the seats man. As weather man said if I took the rear seats out and someone got hurt after riding in the back. I'd always be second guessing.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I'm confused
If you have people, especially children that ride in the rear of your vehicle, why would you take their seat away? I'm sure some plywood (what most seat deletes are made of) is Far from comfortable, aside from the aforementioned safety concerns....

They are in car seats so they have their own separate seat that they are in and the seatbelt and or anchor systems hold the seats in place against the factory seats. They would never sit directly on the delete - their seats would sit on top and be strapped down with the seat belts if I were to do it.

Guys, don't get me wrong...I'm not going to do anything that would endanger my kids. I'm just brain storming at this point because not only do I want to get rid of the back seat, but it would actually make MORE room for the kids by removing all of the seat padding. But again...I'm not going to do anything I remotely think could potentially hurt my kids.

TooFast98Cobra

#1 Vent Shade Installer
Established Member
The delete kit will break in a crash and make the kids car seat anchor down straps loose. The factory seat will not break. Either keep the seats or park the car and drive them in something safer. Its your children why even question a safety item? Are u the guy at the track with a helmet and shorts on?

Zemedici

Established Member
They are in car seats so they have their own separate seat that they are in and the seatbelt and or anchor systems hold the seats in place against the factory seats. They would never sit directly on the delete - their seats would sit on top and be strapped down with the seat belts if I were to do it.

Guys, don't get me wrong...I'm not going to do anything that would endanger my kids. I'm just brain storming at this point because not only do I want to get rid of the back seat, but it would actually make MORE room for the kids by removing all of the seat padding. But again...I'm not going to do anything I remotely think could potentially hurt my kids.

So if you get rear ended, and the plywood delete kit comes apart (as it's the foundation for your kids seats)

Then what?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
The delete kit will break in a crash and make the kids car seat anchor down straps loose. The factory seat will not break. Either keep the seats or park the car and drive them in something safer. Its your children why even question a safety item? Are u the guy at the track with a helmet and shorts on?

Ya know, I'm cool with constructive criticism...seriously. But don't be a dick.
Apparently you've never seen the back end of a car that has been rear ended...the seats make little to no difference when they're taco'd up.

Those that contributed, I appreciate the feed back. Like I've said, I'm not going to do anything to put my kids in harms way.
Again, appreciate the constructive feed back.

Zemedici

Established Member
Ya know, I'm cool with constructive criticism...seriously. But don't be a dick.
Apparently you've never seen the back end of a car that has been rear ended...the seats make little to no difference when they're taco'd up.

Those that contributed, I appreciate the feed back. Like I've said, I'm not going to do anything to put my kids in harms way.
Again, appreciate the constructive feed back.

Rather be taco'd up in cushioned ass seats or plywood?

TooFast98Cobra

#1 Vent Shade Installer
Established Member
Ya good luck,
Signed the dick that has children strapped in propertly.

Ill tell ya what put the rear seat delete in then take it to the police station to have an officer install the infany car seat for you. Lets see what he says better yet get a picture of his face. Im done with tbis thread. Its nonsense. Lata

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
No, the seat belt latches aren't going to protrude enough. Not to mention a rear seat delete would be an unstable base to attach a car seat. And unless you have an outdated car seat, all the car seats these days are designed to work with the LATCH system, and those anchors definitely won't stick up enough to work with a seat delete.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
Is 5-10 lbs really worth endangering your kids? Keep the damn seats or don't drive them around in the mustang. Why is this so difficult? lol

nate714

Established Member
I recently saw a comment on a youtube video saying something like "I had a dilemma between keeping the 2door or the kids. The kids had to go". This thread reminds me of that lol (not judging, I just find it comical). I don't have kids yet, and I keep my rear seat. Just folding down my rear seats lets so much more suspension noise into the cabin. Trying not to sound critical here, but don't you think taking away the foam seat under/behind the child's seat would increase ride harshness along with NVH especially for the rear passengers?

If you care that much about 1/4 times or lap times, wouldn't it be easier to unbolt the rear seat for the weekend then put it back in before you transport the kids? I like my rear seat it allows me to keep a couple small items in arms reach like "reusable" grocery bags (yeah California laws are ****ing stupid) and safety gear for work.

Users who are viewing this thread