rear pinion angle.. questions, please help.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
so.. i've had a set of upper adjustable control arms sitting in my garage for over 5 months.
I never bother instaling them because i didn't have the tool nor knew the procedure to asjust the pinion angle.
Well.. today i decided to install them.
I measured the length of the stock ones and the Adjustable ones.. one side lined up great.. the other one i had to mess with it a little bit to get it to fit. Took me about 20 minutes.. the bolts came right off for the first time in my life i had no issues...
So i went for a drive afterwards.. and now the car won't stop spinning the tires.. i mean.. it'll just be spin city all the way to third.
My question is... what is the worst that can happen if my pineon is off.. it feels like i actually raised the pinion in relationship to the ground.
I wanted to take it to infineon tomorrow hoping for 12s, but i just might skip the trip if i'll just get crappy times.
Thanks.
Jersey

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Typically, you want to set the pinion angle a hair lower than stock to get the benefits of adj. uppers. Without getting into measuring pinion angle and all that crap, here's what you need to do.

-remove the adjustable arms again
-take the stock arms and precisely measure them from bolt-hole to bolt-hole
-take this measurement and add 1/8" to 3/16"
-adjust the adjustable arms until the bolt holes are "X" (the first measurement plus 1/8") apart, being sure to measure them the same way and very precisely
-reinstall

Bullitt66

Adiccted SVT Poster
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Typically, you want to set the pinion angle a hair lower than stock to get the benefits of adj. uppers. Without getting into measuring pinion angle and all that crap, here's what you need to do.

-remove the adjustable arms again
-take the stock arms and precisely measure them from bolt-hole to bolt-hole
-take this measurement and add 1/8" to 3/16"
-adjust the adjustable arms until the bolt holes are "X" (the first measurement plus 1/8") apart, being sure to measure them the same way and very precisely
-reinstall
that would give a little more traccion, right?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
yes. it's kinda complicated to explain, but when pinion angle changes under wieght transfer, power is robbed, and this helps compensate for it.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
How would you go about adjusting pinion angle w/ out adjustable uppers. I assume put plates between the trans mount and trans?

You could do it many different ways. Any time you change ride-height, mounting points, etc, it can change.

Users who are viewing this thread