Rear passenger side creak/squeak fixed

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I'm not sure which forum this thread fits but I wanted to add my experiences to this topic. I've had the creak/squeak from my passenger side trunk/backseat area for quite some time. We recently had a get together where we installed Vince's improved Mathis brackets on around a dozen cars and I left my carpet and side panels out of the trunk so I could find the source of the noise.

Lyle [Dun4791] and I have both read the thread suggesting body panels rubbing together as the source of the creak/squeak. We started pulling and pushing on the body panels and sure enough, the creak noise appeared. Upon closer inspection, Lyle [pic 1] discovered that on my car a weld is missing from the passenger side panels. The driver's side has the weld, the passenger side does not. since we didn't have a welder handy, we used a screwdriver to pry the wheel well panel down in a few places. Net result- creak/squeak is GONE! Easy diagnosis and fix. I'm sorry I waited this long to fix this annoying problem.

Thanks indeed to 03COBRASVT10TH. He posted the thread we read and deserves credit for tracking down the noise. http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20961&page=1&pp=30

Edit- I forgot to mention that you can pull or push on the vertical panel shown [with the red clamp] to see if this is the cause of your creak/squeak. If the car creaks when pulling/pushing, you've found the source.

attachment.php3
attachment.php3
attachment.php3

Last edited:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I had the same problem on mine. I actually tack welded all the seams supporting the rear seat back. Its alot better but I still get a little creaking noise.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I can't believe how shitty the mustang chassis is. I knew that it wasn't the most rigid, but this is pretty bad! Kenne Brown rear strut tower brace came in. I'll be installing that as soon as I get the car back from the dealer fixing my abs.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
im surprised you didnt say anything about my booger welds at the bracket welding party.

half the plastic panels in the back seat are broken now b ecause i set the foam on one on fire. note to self: disassemble more of car before welding.

i fixed that noise over a year ago, AND i posted about it. cliff, you're late to the party AGAIN.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
why cant you believe it? they've been this crappy since it was a falcon.

Oh Three Cobra said:
I can't believe how shitty the mustang chassis is. I knew that it wasn't the most rigid, but this is pretty bad! Kenne Brown rear strut tower brace came in. I'll be installing that as soon as I get the car back from the dealer fixing my abs.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I dunno, guess I never thought much about it. I had a 95 gt vert that was very loose. The cobra felt real right when I bought it with 7k miles. And I installed the subframe connectors within a month of owning it. This all started when I took the back seat out. The undercoating in the wheel tubs caught fire when I was welding, but I took all the back panels out and pulled back the carpet so nothing was damaged. I resprayed some undercoating where it burnt off. I also sprayed white primer over all the welds.

Last edited:

GT Lawyer

Established Member
What's wrong with a squeak or two or even the occassional clunk in the driveline?They remind me that I'm driving a performance vehicle.

If I wanted quiet, I'd buy a Lexus.

musttom

Established Member
Same same

Me too, others figured it out a while back and posted but I missed it. I found it the hard way. Thought the car was going to break in half with all the racket.

Notice how I have the screwdriver jammed in just like flyn high:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205875

GT says:
"If I wanted quiet, I'd buy a Lexus"

I don't need that kind of quiet, I just don't like "falling apart at the seams" noise!!
Tom

flyn high again

Established Member
musttom said:
Me too, others figured it out a while back and posted but I missed it. I found it the hard way. Thought the car was going to break in half with all the racket.

Notice how I have the screwdriver jammed in just like flyn high:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205875

GT says:
"If I wanted quiet, I'd buy a Lexus"

I don't need that kind of quiet, I just don't like "falling apart at the seams" noise!!
Tom

LOL! I guess great minds think alike. I didn't realize there were this many threads about the problem.

GT Lawyer would probably agree with us if it was happening in his car. It's not the creak of harder bushings, it's the creak of poor manufacturing. Very annoying. I smile every time I drive the car now. :beer:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Holy Crap, I got that about a month ago and was fixing to post it. I have exactly the same issue, thanks!

I first noticed mine after taking the car accross a pretty good angle. I heard a pop, like a weld broke, now I have this hideous creak on the passenger side.

Last edited:

flyn high again

Established Member
SnakeBit said:
Do I smell a new LDC Product in the making?

LOL! I think most guys can use a screwdriver to bend the panels on their own. Adding a couple spot welds will work, too.

We are waiting for the woven wire for our upper and lower front grills to be delivered. They will be available in Stainless Steel and Black. We also have a GREAT not that expensive product that we just started developing but I can't mention yet. Stay tuned. :beer:

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
flyn high again said:
LOL! I think most guys can use a screwdriver to bend the panels on their own. Adding a couple spot welds will work, too.

We are waiting for the woven wire for our upper and lower front grills to be delivered. They will be available in Stainless Steel and Black. We also have a GREAT not that expensive product that we just started developing but I can't mention yet. Stay tuned. :beer:
Where's my PayPal? I'm in sight unseen. If you guys make it, I'll buy it. Keep 'em coming.

Users who are viewing this thread