Rear O2 sensors, necessary or not? The definitive answer inside:

Shaun@AED

Hey Shaun is there any issues with removing the oem PCV systems in the Coyotes and running breathers on both banks? This is how my Vortech Cobra is setup and I notice quite a few guys do that instead of a catch can. I don't have emission testing down here.

Issues as far as what?
Emissions? I would not know, I do not keep track of emissions laws for different areas.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
This was very helpful. I recently was getting a P2237 error code but my rear O2 sensors are turned on so I wasn't as worried about it for normal driving. I went ahead and replaced the front O2 sensor and got rid of the BBK extensions and it cleared the error up. All that time while the error was on I wasn't sure if the car was running rich or lean though.

beef97

Established Member
No, I do not read other tuners work nor modify others work.
Passing emissions is not a problem assuming you have all factory emissions equipment in place. I do not modify the tune to make illegal setups pass emissions testing.

Awesome! What's the best way to get in touch with you?

Shaun@AED

Thanks, We've always just turned the rear 02's off in the tune files but I see times are changing with these newer ECU's. I'll show this thread to Rob at the shop.
What shop do you work for?

This was very helpful. I recently was getting a P2237 error code but my rear O2 sensors are turned on so I wasn't as worried about it for normal driving. I went ahead and replaced the front O2 sensor and got rid of the BBK extensions and it cleared the error up. All that time while the error was on I wasn't sure if the car was running rich or lean though.

Any O2 code (be it front or rear) will trigger the ECU to ignore O2 input at WOT, so do not ever race with an O2 sensor code. It's best to resolve the issue ASAP.

Awesome! What's the best way to get in touch with you?

Email or phone.
[email protected]
(916)715-7569

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Guys with e85 and long tubes. It helps if you wrap the headers and angle the o2's down. The o2's dont get hot enough to burn off moisture and eventually burn out the heaters in the o2's. Wrapping the header collectors helps keep heat in and having them angled down helps moisture drain out.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
What shop do you work for?

Any O2 code (be it front or rear) will trigger the ECU to ignore O2 input at WOT, so do not ever race with an O2 sensor code. It's best to resolve the issue ASAP.

Email or phone.
[email protected]
(916)715-7569

Fordspeed Racing and Machine in Largo Florida. Former home of the fastest Ford powered Outlaw 10.5 car on earth (sold), recently stepped up with the Big Boys in Outlaw Pro-Mod!:banana: The 10.5 car won some Big national races in it's day Shakedown at Englishtown in 2012,Heads Up Madness in Bradenton, made it to the semi's a couple times at the YellowBullet Nationals which would have been wins but gremlins and some broke parts/bad luck reared it's head:whine: Here's a clip from the Outlaw Drag Racing Championship, Rob took on drag race legend Billy Glidden and came out on top in the final, this was the week after the win at Englishtown 2012, he doubled up 2 for 2!:thumbsup:
The final is at 3 hours 47 minutes 40 seconds!
[youtube_browser]6qUL4iIBHLo[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Fordspeed Racing and Machine in Largo Florida. Former home of the fastest Ford powered Outlaw 10.5 car on earth (sold), recently stepped up with the Big Boys in Outlaw Pro-Mod!:banana: The 10.5 car won some Big national races in it's day Shakedown at Englishtown in 2012,Heads Up Madness in Bradenton, made it to the semi's a couple times at the YellowBullet Nationals which would have been wins but gremlins and some broke parts/bad luck reared it's head:whine: Here's a clip from the Outlaw Drag Racing Championship, Rob took on drag race legend Billy Glidden and came out on top in the final, this was the week after the win at Englishtown 2012, he doubled up 2 for 2!:thumbsup:
The final is at 3 hours 47 minutes 40 seconds!
[youtube_browser]6qUL4iIBHLo[/youtube_browser]

Damn that is cool as hell, and fast.
One of my goals is to have a 150mph 1/8th car, but it's damn expensive and will not do anything for my business (since it's 98% street cars).

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Damn that is cool as hell, and fast.
One of my goals is to have a 150mph 1/8th car, but it's damn expensive and will not do anything for my business (since it's 98% street cars).

Thanks! the 10.5 cars best ET was a 4.03/200.80 which equates to around 3800HP with the race weight.
Yeah 150 is surely moving out in the 1/8th getting a street car to do that would be left to guys like Larry Larson, the top X275 cars are hitting 160 now and Ultra Street is in the high 140's.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Does anyone know if Lund tunes disable the rear o2's? I thought I remember reading that he does a while back. I'm guessing that I will need to be replacing my front o2 sensors regularly then?

wr450

Established Member
I added an off road x to my lund tuned 2014 a6 and was surprised that I was told no revision was necessary that the rear o2 were off in the tune when the car was stock I still haven't gotten around to figuring out how to data log or for that matter how to monitor afr and knock on the ngauge came with no instructions or anything whenever I imply as.to how to work the thing all I get is its easy and self explanatory to that I say what I do every day to me is easy but it would take years to master as I have

wr450

Established Member
I should add that I am happy with the tune car runs like a scalded dog shifts exactly how I would set it up if I were able to do it myself just gotta figure this thing out to make sure I'm safe this is my only car it blows I'm riding a bus or cab

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I added an off road x to my lund tuned 2014 a6 and was surprised that I was told no revision was necessary that the rear o2 were off in the tune when the car was stock I still haven't gotten around to figuring out how to data log or for that matter how to monitor afr and knock on the ngauge came with no instructions or anything whenever I imply as.to how to work the thing all I get is its easy and self explanatory to that I say what I do every day to me is easy but it would take years to master as I have

They all do that besides Shaun. I've never talked to him or emailed him but been reading because I'm having a time passing emissions with the cats ON. Bama told me that was necessary to pass (fine and understood) and they told me the first time it failed after that it was because I was using the race tune. Ok so load the 87p tune and it failed too! They have sent me another tune that they said the rears are turned on in this tune and I'm thinking why were they off in the others since those were canned tunes. I'm getting really pissed with them and I'm gonna give it one more shot just to get it to pass but one more fail and I'm completely done with Bama

Data logging isn't hard. Just google it.

Last edited:

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Make sure to drive the car a bit with the new tune before going for the emissions test. Otherwise your o2's will read "not ready" and you will fail again. That may have been why you failed with the Bama performance tune.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Possibly but I'd think 180mi is enough. I'm no expert but I'd think if you idle for a while in D, give it a hard time a few times, drive in traffic and cruse for several miles that should be enough. I'm almost an expert at it by now

Users who are viewing this thread