REAR metal buzzing noise?

Looking for ideas because at this point, I'm clueless as to the source of this noise.

Started getting a metal buzzing noise about 1k miles ago. Sounds like its either coming from the rear passenger side or center of the vehicle, in the differential area. Just started suddenly.

Exhaust has been pulled. The rubber absorbers for the catback have been replaced. The hangers are fine. Rear tail pipe hanger under the bumper have been replaced. Exhaust isn't touching the diff.

The sound rears its ugly head when I'm in 6th and started going above 60mph. It sounds like someone is slapping coins together at a very high speed.

I'm absolutely stumped. I don't see anything in the rear of the vehicle that would appear to be the source of this noise.

Checked the backseat and fastened all the bolts back there. While cruising, also had someone sit in the back and push against both rear seats to see if they were producing the noise, but nothing. Any ideas would be great.

And its important to note that the noise shows up when I press down a little on the gas while in 6th above 60mph. The moment I left off the gas, the buzzing noise stops. Push the pedal a little and the buzzing noise manifests.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Yup this is a tough one.

Going the extreme route at this point and just replacing the cb. We'll see if its ultimately a broken baffle with in one of the Stingers muffler.

jk_aktion

Established Member
Looking for ideas because at this point, I'm clueless as to the source of this noise.

Started getting a metal buzzing noise about 1k miles ago. Sounds like its either coming from the rear passenger side or center of the vehicle, in the differential area. Just started suddenly.

Exhaust has been pulled. The rubber absorbers for the catback have been replaced. The hangers are fine. Rear tail pipe hanger under the bumper have been replaced. Exhaust isn't touching the diff.

The sound rears its ugly head when I'm in 6th and started going above 60mph. It sounds like someone is slapping coins together at a very high speed.

I'm absolutely stumped. I don't see anything in the rear of the vehicle that would appear to be the source of this noise.

Checked the backseat and fastened all the bolts back there. While cruising, also had someone sit in the back and push against both rear seats to see if they were producing the noise, but nothing. Any ideas would be great.

And its important to note that the noise shows up when I press down a little on the gas while in 6th above 60mph. The moment I left off the gas, the buzzing noise stops. Push the pedal a little and the buzzing noise manifests.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

similar sound i found in the past, was the pinion "oil slinger" washer/shim that sits between the pinion flange and bearing. hard to tell since i can't hear yours myself. it has a tendency to walk around on the pinion since the inside diameter is larger than the pinion itself.

Jefe

Established Member
Figure this out? Gotta be an exhaust bracket. Mine actually came loose and popped off the other day after the muffler

Users who are viewing this thread