Rear end starting to whine

XP900

Established Member
I have noticed that at highway speeds - like 65-80 - my differential is starting to make more noise. Last time I had the rear end apart was around 30K to replace the pinion bearing. At that time the gear tolerances were right in the middle of the specifications...before I started the work and the exact same when I was all done. Now the car has about 57K on it. Is it possible that I may now have out of spec tolerances from wear that can be resolved with shim adjustments or am I wasting my time redoing this work again trying to eliminate some of the whine?

railroad

Established Member
I have 3.73s in my 13 also. I have a little coast whine, very slight and only in a light, no load coast.
I observed it with the installation of the new gears.
With your situation, I would recommend checking pinion preload.
Since it sounds like you were, hands on, with the gear change, I will not break down the procedure.
An easy check before dropping the driveshaft is to check for front to rear movement of the pinion flange. Naturally if it moves you need to tighten it up.
Let us know if you find anything.
Good luck,

XP900

Established Member
My ratio is the stock 3.55 gears.

Car has the stock gears but I had changed the races and bearings when I had it all apart. (Bought all the tools I needed from HF.) I will check the pinion flange when I return home.

I can tear it down and redo it but what I'm worried about is wasting a lot of time and effort. If I re-adjust everything to factory Ford specs (assuming that they are now out of specs) is there still a good chance I will have some whine? Work all done on my back.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I rebuilt the diff in my Cobra and kept the original gears because they were still in decent shape. When I got done there was some whine which I expected. A friend of mine that's rebuilt more than a few rear ends from his off road days said there's really no way around it. No matter how hard you try you won't get the gears exactly in the same spot for the same wear pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread