Rear end rotational noise

Juruense

Banned
Here is a simple try. Get a bottle of the "ford friction modifier" and put it in the differential and see if the noise goes away. it runs about 5 bucks and worth a squirt to see. its only a couple onces but sure cuts down on noise issues.
Bad ****ing advice man...

mrfomoco

Established Member
You really don't think it should be that much??

I was gonna take it back to them in the morning..they said 1,076 now for it plus tax....

I just worry about another shop in town not being able to do it right the first time.

pkwest

Established Member
Don't know if this is the noise you are hearing but it is pretty comon in our cars. Mine made a pretty loud whirring noise from the rear of the car and also had a vibration at 120mph in the drive line. From the factory there was 5 degrees of difference in pinion angle from the drive line angle. The front of the pinion flange was one degree down while the front of the motor was 4 degrees up. In an ideal situation they should be the same angle. I was able to get it three degrees closer with the front adjustable aluminum bushings, but ran out of adjustment and was still 2 off. It still had the noise but it was better and still had the vibe at 120. I got the maximum motorsports aluminum mount which lowers the rear of the pumpkin. The noise completely went away when I got the pinion angle exactly the same as the drive line angle. The vibration is completely gone also.

My last 03 cobra had the same noise and under warranty they replaced the pumpkin and it got slightly better but was still noticeable.

mrfomoco

Established Member
Alright I'm not taking it to the stealership as per yalls advice...

I'm going to call Houston Performance when they open today at 10 am to see what they can do for me and if they've run into similar situations with other cobras.

Does that sound better? ( I also want the car dyno tuned at the same time)

Juruense

Banned
I'm going to call Houston Performance when they open today at 10 am to see what they can do for me and if they've run into similar situations with other cobras.

Does that sound better? ( I also want the car dyno tuned at the same time)
Sounds like a great plan, sorry my advice to take it to the stealership did not go better. I was hoping they would tell you exactly what was wrong and then you could get comparitive quotes and maybe even DIY.

mrfomoco

Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses. Houston performance quoted me 569 plus tax. You guys rock! I'm gonna have them dyno tune it while its there

mrfomoco

Established Member
The stealership said bearings in the diff. I had hoped it would be the knuckles so I could get a set from you and replace them myself. But I checked the wheels for play and they are tight as a button

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
As you can read here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobra-rs-25/554018-heads-up-irs-track-dawgz.html

A bad bearing will not always show play. I found that out the hard way.

It's quite unusual though as everytime I've seen it previously, they have always had play in them when the bearings go bad.

Just some food for thought I guess.

You are in good hands with the guys over at Houston Performance!

Good luck!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mrfomoco

Established Member
Hey thanks a lot!

And thanks for all of the great info you've posted on your products...this summer I'm going with your highly recommended bushings.

Could it be a bad pinion angle?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey thanks a lot!

And thanks for all of the great info you've posted on your products...this summer I'm going with your highly recommended bushings.

Could it be a bad pinion angle?

Typically a bad pinion angle will not make noise. It will only give you drivetrain vibration primarily at high speeds.

FWIW

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok this noise is like a panzer tank rolling up through my rear seat.

Rarely will you see a major bearing failure in the diff unless you've run the diff low on fluid.

The rear knuckle bearings are a VERY common failure on an IRS equipped car and they can raise a hell of a ruckus!

FWIW

mrfomoco

Established Member
I would just get a whole new motor...

New motor?

And in response to Bruce...thats exactly what I thought. I'm sure the guys at Houston Performance will be able to tell me exactly whats up. I've got an appointment for a week from this thursday with them.

After reading about all of these retaining nuts coming loose, I bought a deep 36 mm socket and those puppies are tight! Which is good...and bad. Bad cause I had hoped that would be the problem.

And the car only has 26k miles on it, I think I just got a bad apple.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
After reading about all of these retaining nuts coming loose, I bought a deep 36 mm socket and those puppies are tight! Which is good...and bad. Bad cause I had hoped that would be the problem.

And the car only has 26k miles on it, I think I just got a bad apple.

Are you tightening it with a torque wrench to 240-250#? That much torque requires a pretty good amount of pressure to attain.

But being tight does not necessarily mean you don't have a bearing issue. I also found that out the hard way. :(

FWIW

mrfomoco

Established Member
No for some reason my craftsman 1/2" torque wrench only goes to 150. I was just using a breaker bar.

I need to get off my bum and go get one that'll go to 250.

Vegas 01 Cobra

Established Member
I had wicked rotational noise comin from the solid rear in my Cobra that I had just swapped my IRS for and it turns out the carrier bearing on the passenger side was all pitted and chewed up. Replaced it and the axle bearings and it only cost me parts. It was a solid though, Id never wanna tear into the IRS. Thats one of the many reasons I got rid of it. I just wish I had taken a ride in the kids car who swapped me cause I would have told him there was a problem. Oh well, live and learn.

mrfomoco

Established Member
Yeah its a terrible noise.

I'm pretty good with mechanics, but as far as rear-ends go I've only ever swapped pumpkins on the 9" in my '70 Mach. I've never actually set backlash or messed with anything inside of it. I figure I'll leave this one to the pros.

Users who are viewing this thread