Rear end question please all of you knowledgeable mechanics respond

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
Here is my situation.:shrug:

I am planning on buying a 94-98 Cobra complete rotor to rotor with ABS rear end from Mustang Parts Specialties. What i need to know is what else do i need to do the rear end swap? If anything please list the stuff i should acquire.

My other option is to swap my friend for his 2002gt rear end. What would i need to buy for this swap? I know it is a good list of stuff just wondering if it is cheaper than buying the complete rear end from above.

I am gonna go whichever route would be cheaper.

Thanks for all yalls help.
Thomas:thumbsup:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The 96-98 rear end is 1" narrower than your current rear end. You need to do the swap with a 99 to current GT rear end.

snakecharmr99

Established Member
Hey Thomas, let me try to help you out. If you're BUYING the older style rear versus TRADING you buddy for the newer style rear, I think the answer is obvious. That being said, let me ask you a few questions. Are you going to leave either rear you get stock? Do you need your Cobra running quickly after the swap?

If you answered "no" to both questions I feel the trade would be better. First and foremost the trade gives you a direct replacement rear. This allows you to use wheels with the original backspacing. If you're not going to leave it stock, put your car on jackstands and build it as you see fit. You can retain your driveshaft and bigger rear brakes as well.

I'm guessing you want to swap to get a stronger rear for drag racing. If so, definately build the solid axle before you put it under the 03. That will be much easier than rebuilding it after you grenade it (my opinion).

Hope that helps you out some. Also, check out Joe Lynch's website, he has some really good info on this.

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
hey snakecharmr99

well i want it to be done somewhat quick and i am curious about a few things. so i need to buy 3.55 gears, aftermarket contol arms, brake lines and the brackets that mount the cobra brakes to the solid rear end.

here are two questions where can i get the brake lines i need and where can i find the link to joe lynch's website

so i can keep my stock driveshaft if i use my friends 02 gt rear end.
thanks
Thomas
ttt

Last edited:

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
Re: hey snakecharmr99

Originally posted by Thomas Morgan
well i want it to be done somewhat quick and i am curious about a few things. so i need to buy 3.55 gears, aftermarket contol arms, brake lines and the brackets that mount the cobra brakes to the solid rear end.

here are two questions where can i get the brake lines i need and where can i find the link to joe lynch's website

so i can keep my stock driveshaft if i use my friends 02 gt rear end.
thanks
Thomas
ttt

ttt

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
there's only 38756 threads on this already. search for 'live axle swap'

short answer is you'll need the brake lines, control arms, and driveshaft.

edit: and cat-back.

brake lines?????? driveshaft?????? maybe you should do a search cause you don't make much sense unless i am misunderstanding you?????

to the original poster, be patient and a search under live or solid axle on any of the major sites will help as many have done the swap or at least posted about it. i have been researching this for months and it is very straight forward and can be affordable if you do your homework, be patient.

good luck

snakecharmr99

Established Member
Ok Thomas, here goes. Joe Lynch's web site is www.lx.net/jlynch I didn't see the swap page, but I know it's there. You may need to email him for the link. Now, in regard to the driveshaft you have several options. You can swap flanges from the rears or swap yokes from the driveshafts. If you swap flanges there is the question of the crush washer and preload on the pinion bearing. I swapped yokes on the driveshaft, but you need a new u-joint with two different cup sizes. I got a heavy duty Spicer joint which has held up fine, so far.

As far as brake lines, you do not need any. I did not remove them at all when I did the swap. There is a bracket which holds the brake hose to the IRS, just gently bend it open to free the brake line. If you remove the bolts from the eccentrics on the rear you can fish the hose through. Make sure you mark the eccentrics position so the alignment will be CLOSE for your swapping partner(it would be wise for him to get an alignment- just to be safe). You will need 98 Cobra caliper mounting brackets and anti moan brackets if you want to keep the Cobra rotors.

Now, control arms, you can use the stock ones from your swapping partner if you like. Aftermarket, there are many, pick your favorite.

You mentioned getting 3.55's, why? If you want the swap done quickly why change ratios? This would require having the rear end set-up, unless you plan on doing that yourself. No disrespect, but I would not recommend that unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I paid to have mine set up.

If drag racing is your plan, the stock rear probably won't hold up. I went with a Detroit C-Locker, 3.90's, 31 spline Superior axles, a steel bearing cap, welded axle tubes and a T/A studded cover.

Don't forget, you will also need to swap exhaust systems from the catback. Also, make sure you get the exhaust hangers and mounting bolts near the upper control arms from the donor car. You will also need the pinion snubber and bracket along with the mounting bolts (above the donor rear mounted on the floorpan). The GT will NOT have the captive nuts needed to mount the IRS mounting brackets. These will need to be welded in, I believe, not 100% sure as I went the other way.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll try to help as best as I can. It sounds like a lot, but it's not really that bad. It's all worth it when you can launch it hard and never worry about breaking a halfshaft, in my opinion.

Good luck, snakecharmr99. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread