Rear end noise?

venams03

Established Member
Just noticed that at certain speeds and at varying times I can hear a "wobbling" noise coming from the rear of the car, kind of like: whomp whomp whomp whomp

I don't have the vibe that I can tell and the noise is relative to the speed. Also, when it is making this noise, it doesn't matter whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged so it can't be the tranny.

Could this possibly be bad half-shaft? I'm not IRS savvy so I'm not sure what could be making this noise but I hope in someway this could be normal???:shrug:

Suggestions...anyone else hear this??

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yep, I have the whomp, whomp noise too...been there since day one..it's one of many things on my dealer service list...I'm just about ready to put it into winter storage so I probably won't take it to the dealer till Spring. I'm hoping that some of my (our) issues will have fixes by then.

venams03

Established Member
JB

Do you think this might be an Normal type noise for a Cobra IRS?

I would lean toward that if I heard that most of the '03s had this noise.

What about it...anybody else with this type noise in the rear-end??

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
well, on one hand I'd like it to be "normal" so I wouldn't have to worry about them tearing my IRS apart, but it IS pretty loud and annoying and I dont think I want to live with it forever. :shrug:

mike69440

Established Member
rEAR END nOISE IS BAD QC

The Aluminum rear end pumkin and the IRS being attached to the chassis contribute to magnfying any defect in gear manufacture or less than ideal gear mating from poor assembly.

Shoddy American cars, what can I say. I'm trying to embarras Ford to get it right.

I will make sure my complaint is officially loged with Ford so if and when it fails, I have recourse, even out of warrantee. The local Ford engineer declined doing anyhing to correct.

My car is not real loud, but noticible. Sucks

Mike

venams03

Established Member
Hey Mike,

Is yours a steady noise kind of like a gear whining, or is it more like "whomp, whomp whomp"? My noise is alsmost like a warped rotor noise but I don't think its the rear brake making noise because it doesn not go away or get quieter/louder when applying the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread