Rear end feels unstable.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra and the rear feels like its moving all over when I accelerate. Sometimes it feels like it just going down the highway switching lanes. It still has the irs. Has subframe connectors H&R springs and Stock shocks and struts. I don't get hardly any wheel hop. Would this be caused from the stock rubber bushings? I replaced the back tires. The old ones were from 2010. The insides were bald but the outside had some tread. Does the irs require an alignment? Could that cause this? Theres also a tapping or clicking noise when I make sharp right turns. It sounds like it's coming from the back. If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences I'd appreciate the advice.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
What size and brand are your new tires? Are they MPSS?

Fordman1994

Established Member
They're summitomo 285/35/18. The old bald Falkens did the same thing. It was worse though because there wasnt any traction in the back. MPSS?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
They're summitomo 285/35/18. The old bald Falkens did the same thing. It was worse though because there wasnt any traction in the back. MPSS?

MPSS= Michelin Pilot Super Sports

wkornf

Established Member
put the rear on Jack stands and check rear suspension for play. could be bearings, tie rods,or anything else loose or broken.

i just rebuilt my IRS and its great. but even before then it never felt like you describe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
put the rear on Jack stands and check rear suspension for play. could be bearings, tie rods,or anything else loose or broken.

i just rebuilt my IRS and its great. but even before then it never felt like you describe

This. The first thing I'd check is the hub nuts. They need to be torqued to 250ft-lbs. If they're loose it might be worth taking the knuckle apart and checking it out. I had a hub bearing go out and it'll make the car do some weird and scary things.

Yes, the IRS needs an alignment. Going by what you said about the old tires I'd say yours is in need of one after you check it out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This. The first thing I'd check is the hub nuts. They need to be torqued to 250ft-lbs. If they're loose it might be worth taking the knuckle apart and checking it out. I had a hub bearing go out and it'll make the car do some weird and scary things.

Yes, the IRS needs an alignment. Going by what you said about the old tires I'd say yours is in need of one after you check it out.

This right here.

wkornf

Established Member
who knows, tie rod might be loose and changing alignment every time you hear that clunk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
For the clicking noise check the CV boots. I've had them start clicking when the boot gets torn and all the grease flings out.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I'll jack it up tomorrow and check the hub nuts and make sure they're torqued to 250ft/lbs. I'll also check for play and let you guys know what I find.

Fordman1994

Established Member
Weird and scary is what mine feels like. 60 mph is okay but once you get up to 70-75mph it starts getting sketchy back there. I thought maybe it was just old rubber bushings and old shocks.

Fordman1994

Established Member
Well I was going to try and check the hub nuts but I dont have a deep 36mm socket. I looked at the driver side. There was some play in the hub but I'm not sure how much is normal. Everything else seemed tight. I didnt see any tears on the driver side half shaft boot. I checked the torque boxes. I read something about the bolt holes on the torque boxes tearing from drag racing. It looked fine. The boots on the cross axis joints are torn. I'm not sure how to check those or if they would cause it. I'll check the passenger side tomorrow and get a deep socket for the hub nuts.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Well I was going to try and check the hub nuts but I dont have a deep 36mm socket. I looked at the driver side. There was some play in the hub but I'm not sure how much is normal. Everything else seemed tight. I didnt see any tears on the driver side half shaft boot. I checked the torque boxes. I read something about the bolt holes on the torque boxes tearing from drag racing. It looked fine. The boots on the cross axis joints are torn. I'm not sure how to check those or if they would cause it. I'll check the passenger side tomorrow and get a deep socket for the hub nuts.

There shouldn't be any play in that bearing. It doesn't take much to cause issues. The bolt hole issues are more for SRA cars. From the axle hitting back and forth. The IRS cars don't usually beat up the holes.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

My first thought too. I had one loosen after some drag strip hop and it’s definitely a strange feeling.
Good reason for an alignment check and they can check the hub and other nuts/bolts.
-J

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My first thought too. I had one loosen after some drag strip hop and it’s definitely a strange feeling.
Good reason for an alignment check and they can check the hub and other nuts/bolts.
-J
I almost totaled my car because of a bad hub bearing. It's a scary feeling to have the test end come around when it wasn't supposed to.

Fordman1994

Established Member
So I finally got a deep enough 36 mm socket. The driver side was pretty loose. I'm not sure what it was at. I just set my wrench to 250ft/lbs and torqued it down. It probably made 2.5 turns. Before I even tightened it I could move the hub around quite a bit. Now it's nice and tight and has no play. The passenger side was fine. I'll let you guys know how it handles now and hopefully that noise is gone too.

Last edited:

Fordman1994

Established Member
It feels so much better. It still has that clicking noise. I can hear it going over some bad dips in the road. It also does it when I make right turns. It's never done it making a left turn. It doesn't always do it making right turns though. I'm not sure if its sharp turns or when im on the gas and turning. It seems worse. I'm not sure but it seems like it did it more and I've never heard it going over bumps. I had the radio and everything off and was really trying to listen for it though.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IMO you should pull that knuckle apart and check the bearing and hub. Who knows how long it was loose for. And being that loose could cause some damage to the hub.

Fordman1994

Established Member
Yeah. Hopefully the knuckle is okay. Wish the parts weren't so high. $163 for one hub. Now I see why so many people swap in solid axles. Lol

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No offense but complaining on a $163 part?
Just confirmed the cheap Mustang owner stereotype.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread