Rear diff seal, what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastgt110

Established Member
Unfourantely I discovered my rear diff cover has a slight leak. If I was smart I would have changed the seal when I had everything apart doing the full tilt bushing kit last year, but hindsight is always 20 20 right. So I ordered the new ford racing diff cover and was debating how to seal the new cover. There are tons of threads on this but I couldn't find a consensus on what to use. I narrowed it down to the lube locker gasket or the new permatex gear oil sealant. What has everyone used successfully. This job is time consuming for a 10$ bottle of sealant and def don't want to do it twice!

Sagittaria

Established Member
I used lubelocker for speed of installation. But grey rtv works great as well but takes longer to set up properly.

perry2k12

Established Member
I have not personally done this job myself, but plan to this winter. Going off of my research, I plan to use a lubelocker gasket. Seems to be the quick, painless way of doing it and I haven't found many cases of them failing.

ctgreddy

Established Member
just pick up some rtv and throw it on there. no reason for a special gasket. my irs was resealed with gray by the previous owner with no issues. i've done many many straight axle jobs and have used every type of sealant there is, whatever i have in the tool box. i've used high heat red rtv, black, gray, etc. the only diff cover i've ever had come back leaking was my first car i did and i used one of those paper gaskets. deff wont do that again.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
I've used the lubelocker gasket on my cobra, shelby, and F-250. Not one drop from any vehicle. Would highly recommend over RTV.

I would go with the lubelocker gasket. I've had the diff cover leak twice now with the rtv and BilletFlow brace. I finally htrew in the towel and decided to go with the lubelocker gasket and Ford Racing cover after reading many positive posts on this combo. Leaks are so annoying.

99cobra907up

Established Member
+1 for lubelocker. I have one on the cobra and one on my fox vert.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

fastgt110

Established Member
I just got my new ford racing cover in from american muscle today and all i can say is wow... very nice cover. Only about 9 years late right! Going to give the lubelocker gasket a shot, we'll see what happens.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Pffft you guys are amateurs. JBWELD FTW

TRBO VNM

just pick up some rtv and throw it on there. no reason for a special gasket. my irs was resealed with gray by the previous owner with no issues. i've done many many straight axle jobs and have used every type of sealant there is, whatever i have in the tool box. i've used high heat red rtv, black, gray, etc. the only diff cover i've ever had come back leaking was my first car i did and i used one of those paper gaskets. deff wont do that again.

You can't just use some RTV on the IRS cover. There is a lot more stress on it compared to a solid axle and will eventually leak again using standard black and some of the others.

I have used the ford grey rtv they use on diesel trucks and the LL gasket with permatex hi-tac adhesive. both have worked great so far without issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread