Rear bumper cover removal - any tips??

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Once again, it's time to sink some $$$ into my baby, so I'm finally getting my ATROCIOUS rear bumper cover re-painted, as well as painting and installing the H.O. Fibertrends cowl hood that I bought...oh what is it...like 3+ years ago? Pathetic, I know...

So can anyone give me any tips and tricks - or gotchas and pitfalls - before I attempt to take the rear bumper cover off my '03?

Thanks! :beer:

mustanginky

Established Member
it's fairly easy from what i can remember, there are bolts inside the trunk behind the liner, then some screws you have to remove in the fenderwell. i think that's about it. might have to get under the car in the back, but honestly don't remember if there were some from the underneath or not.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Tim, make sure whoever paints your bumper doesn't paint the black part down by the exhaust. I've seen plenty of other cars with parts that are supposed to be black and the painter just goes right over them.

TRBO VNM

with what Dale said, I have seen a number of cars with the black still black, but painted black. ends up looking really nice and much easier to clean and no worries of wax/polish getting on the black and being a pain to remove. just a thought since you are getting it painted anyway.

I think you need to do something in the engine bay to make it worthy of a cowl hood install. :poke:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Tim check this out.

Scroll down a 1/4 of the way to the 99-04 section.
How to remove & install body panels and other parts
You DA MAN Ray! Don't think I would've figured it out without this link. And of course I'm too old to think of Googling the shit. Thanks, bro!

BTW, I almost cried when I saw all that snow piled up on your car last month. Your dad definitely needs to build a bigger garage!

Tim, make sure whoever paints your bumper doesn't paint the black part down by the exhaust. I've seen plenty of other cars with parts that are supposed to be black and the painter just goes right over them.
Thanks, Dale. I mentioned it to the guy at Sheehy, and he said that they "couldn't paint that textured stuff anyway". Now I'll HAVE his ass if they do!

I think you need to do something in the engine bay to make it worthy of a cowl hood install. :poke:
Can't disagree, Jason. So...what'd ya have in mind? Actually, I'm pretty happy with what's under the hood now, but I would like to do something with the suspension this season. We'll be talkin'...

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
You DA MAN Ray! Don't think I would've figured it out without this link. And of course I'm too old to think of Googling the shit. Thanks, bro!

BTW, I almost cried when I saw all that snow piled up on your car last month. Your dad definitely needs to build a bigger garage!

Yeah my mom sent me a few pictures and I wanted to cry myself lol. My car will be gettin' some love this summer tho! I'm trying to convince my dad to build a 2 car garage with a lift, I would be in heaven, but the stupid homo association would probably say no

Last edited:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Three words for you Tim "POSI PORTED EATON".:banana: I am tell'in you man you will grin from ear to ear afterwords. You will probably do the banana dance :dancenana:.
Nah, not quite time for that yet...

Zaxjax's old Eaton has only been sitting in my garage for like a year and a half now. Still another two years to go! :-D

TRBO VNM

dang, so you have a ported eaton just sitting or is it stock, ready to be sent out?

suspension, no problem. we can talk. :beer:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Yeah, the Eaton is still stock. I bought it with intent of sending it out for porting some day, but just haven't had the urge yet. I need to get the suspension improved before adding any more power anyway. It hops enough already!

I'd like to upgrade both front and rear, but only lower it slightly. Got any ideas for me??

LadyJame

Proud wife of a NAVY Vet!
Established Member
You already won a car show with that rear bumper...what's got you motivated all of a sudden???????

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Tim, H&R SS springs...that's all you need. LOL. Seriously, you'd probably be happy with the race springs. The rates are better, and it doesn't lower the car to much. I may eventually switch.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I'm getting the "new" cowl hood painted James, so I figured as long as they were already mixing the paint...

And I'm planning to spend a good chunk of this year's tax refund on the car, probably some suspension upgrades next. I started with a new billiard ball (3-ball) shifter knob, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite mods. It goes perfectly with my black and red interior!

Oh, I finally got around to booking the Carousel last week, and I requested a room nearby you guys. LOL...hijacking my own thread!!

Users who are viewing this thread