Rear Brembo Setup?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You are looking for a 4 piston caliper setup I take it? I don't know if brembo makes a setup that is smaller than the Cobra R calipers for the rear.. you might have to upgrade the calipers in the front, and then get the standard rear caliper setup from brembo for the rear, because as of right now, I could be wrong, but if you were to get the standard rear setup it would be bigger than your front calipers.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
One thing to remember about adding a fixed caliper to the rear of your car......If your car is street legal, and needs to pass a yearly inspection, then you need to retain some form of parking brake. A lot of these kits do not come with a them, because unregistered uninsured track/race cars have no need for it.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
One thing to remember about adding a fixed caliper to the rear of your car......If your car is street legal, and needs to pass a yearly inspection, then you need to retain some form of parking brake. A lot of these kits do not come with a them, because unregistered uninsured track/race cars have no need for it.

Troy, how about unregistered uninsured track/race/DRIFT cars? LOL

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
I came across this on the Wilwood brake site for the Ford 8.8 rear (4 piston) that supports a parking brake - might be worth checking in to. Scroll down to the Ford applications.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I came across this on the Wilwood brake site for the Ford 8.8 rear (4 piston) that supports a parking brake - might be worth checking in to. Scroll down to the Ford applications.

Those brakes are CLEARY too much brake for the rear. I know two people that have this exact rear brake set up. One of them ended up going through turn one at Road America backwards and the other one took it off of his car because it was too much rear brake.

Friend #1 ended up having to put a brake bias adjuster on the car to crank the rear brakes on the car way back and the other friend has not put the rear brakes back on a car yet and when he does, he will also need a brake bias adjuster as well.

My 'performance' take on it would be why would you want to INCREASE rotating mass and unsprung weight with those big heavy four piston calipers and thick heavy rotors??? That means you're going to accelerate slower and handle worse. How is that an increase in performance?

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Bruce nailed it!
And I'll raise him by saying that a mod of that type on the rear is being driven by an appearance desire. IMHO very little performance advantage can be gained here.

In slightly harsher internet speak big rear brakes are for posers.
There I said it.:bash::poke:

As you improve the performance of the front brakes with diameter increases and pad compound improvements as a function of the physics involved it will take work away from the rear brakes.

This is clearly illustrated in the temperature sampling done by Vintage Venom after converting an SN95 Mach1 to their 14" kit with no changes at all in the rear.
track-temps-2009-10-25-large.bmp

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The SVO has larger REAR brakes than front brakes....I'm just saying :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The SVO has larger REAR brakes than front brakes....I'm just saying :)

That could be on purpose, your car has a higher percentage of the overal weight on the rear than V8 Mustangs... even IRS ones, if I remember correctly...:shrug:

Hmm an IRS equipped, SVO with 14" front brakes, and a 2.5 Ranger bottom end.:dw::bash::-D That could wreck someones track budget.:-D

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Those brakes are CLEARY too much brake for the rear. I know two people that have this exact rear brake set up. One of them ended up going through turn one at Road America backwards and the other one took it off of his car because it was too much rear brake.

Friend #1 ended up having to put a brake bias adjuster on the car to crank the rear brakes on the car way back and the other friend has not put the rear brakes back on a car yet and when he does, he will also need a brake bias adjuster as well.

My 'performance' take on it would be why would you want to INCREASE rotating mass and unsprung weight with those big heavy four piston calipers and thick heavy rotors??? That means you're going to accelerate slower and handle worse. How is that an increase in performance?

FWIW

I'm running Wilwood SL6 (front) and SL4R (rear) on my '09 GT (S197) and have NO performance problems on the road courses. You can also control brake bias with different types of pads (less aggressive), e.g., running Hawk DTC 70 (front) and DTC 60 (rear). A 4 piston rear caliper is not too much for these cars - perhaps for the older generation (pre-2005 Mustangs) where they carry more weight on the nose vs. the rear.
:beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm running Wilwood SL6 (front) and SL4R (rear) on my '09 GT (S197) and have NO performance problems on the road courses. You can also control brake bias with different types of pads (less aggressive), e.g., running Hawk DTC 70 (front) and DTC 60 (rear). A 4 piston rear caliper is not too much for these cars - perhaps for the older generation (pre-2005 Mustangs) where they carry more weight on the nose vs. the rear.
:beer:

Your are correct that the S-197 vehicles are a lot different than the SN-95's. They are a LOT more rigid platform wise, they have a much longer wheelbase, they are heavier and they have better suspension design. However having said that, I would never put a 1.100" thick 13" rotor on the rear of the car with a four piston caliper unless I had a 15" front braking system with a six or eight piston caliper and 700 rwhp.

Driving a car at six or eight tenths is a lot different than driving it at ten tenths. :-D

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
That could be on purpose, your car has a higher percentage of the overal weight on the rear than V8 Mustangs... even IRS ones, if I remember correctly...:shrug:

Hmm an IRS equipped, SVO with 14" front brakes, and a 2.5 Ranger bottom end.:dw::bash::-D That could wreck someones track budget.:-D
Nope, I'm still nose heavy (front - 56.6 rear - 43.4). From what I've read the larger rear disc were to help in nose dive, but as you can see I don't think it helped much (Yes I'm whoring a pic...)
mmfp_1003_08+2009_super_stang_fest+virginia_international_raceway.jpg

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have run 14", 4 piston, kit on the front of my '03 Cobra, and left the stockers in the rear. The car braked great with no bias adjuster and no funny handling characteristics. I would probably consider increasing the rotor diamater, but leaving the stock caliper before going to a 4 piston rear kit.

Ryans car was pristine example of an SVO. I say was because I am not sure how tracking has affected his factory red paint job. Last I saw it, it still looked good. It is good to see the SVO at the track how it was intended. There is an '83 or '84 model near me, not in the best shape. I keep debating on just stopping by and making an offer. I would rather get a newer model because of the head light design.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have run 14", 4 piston, kit on the front of my '03 Cobra, and left the stockers in the rear. The car braked great with no bias adjuster and no funny handling characteristics.

Doug:

Your car stopped well because of the increased leverage and clamping force of your larger upgraded front brakes. You wouldn't need a brake bias adjuster by increasing front braking power. However a bias adjuster would be required if you upgraded the rear brakes.

But you've probably noticed that your rear brakes are giving you a decreased contribution to the overall stopping effort. I know I did.

I would probably consider increasing the rotor diamater, but leaving the stock caliper before going to a 4 piston rear kit.

This was the most simple solution that I found.

marshal wall

Established Member
The Panoz racing cars had 13.1 fronts and 13.0 rear Brembs and the front and rear Brembo set up on this mach 1 is based off of the Panoz set up shown here:Panoz GTRA Chassis although this Mach has 14" front rotors. Panoz did make a Brembo set up for the Cobra IRS, but it may no longer be avalable. All of the Brembo rear brake parts such as the parking brake, caliper and rotor are avalble new, but they are not cheap and You will have to fab up your own caliper mounting brackets.

m5lp_0701_03z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+side_view.jpg

Rear Brembo package on the mach 1. note the Brembo parking brake caliper.
m5lp_0701_07z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+wheels.jpg

Front brembo caliper:
20-4862-05-06
Avalable in a kit for 94-04 mustangs
1B1.7016A - Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit - Drilled Rotors: buybrakes.com

rear brembo caliper with pistons sized to work with the F50 front caliper:
20-5187-30-40shown

Maximum Motorsports has a Willwood brake kit for the Cobra IRS designed to work with the Cobra R front calipers:
MM Wilwood IRS Racing Brake Kit, 1999-04 Cobra, floating rotor, Rear [MMBAK-16] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The Panoz racing cars had 13.1 fronts and 13.0 rear Brembs and the front and rear Brembo set up on this mach 1 is based off of the Panoz set up shown here:Panoz GTRA Chassis although this Mach has 14" front rotors. Panoz did make a Brembo set up for the Cobra IRS, but it may no longer be avalable. All of the Brembo rear brake parts such as the parking brake, caliper and rotor are avalble new, but they are not cheap and You will have to fab up your own caliper mounting brackets.

m5lp_0701_03z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+side_view.jpg

Rear Brembo package on the mach 1. note the Brembo parking brake caliper.
m5lp_0701_07z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+wheels.jpg

Front brembo caliper:
20-4862-05-06
Avalable in a kit for 94-04 mustangs
1B1.7016A - Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit - Drilled Rotors: buybrakes.com

rear brembo caliper with pistons sized to work with the F50 front caliper:
20-5187-30-40shown

Maximum Motorsports has a Willwood brake kit for the Cobra IRS designed to work with the Cobra R front calipers:
MM Wilwood IRS Racing Brake Kit, 1999-04 Cobra, floating rotor, Rear [MMBAK-16] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Unlike the Mustang, the Panoz was designed from the ground up with that braking system. :coolman:

The Wilwood rear braking system from MM is what I described the problems with for a Mustang in post #8.

Users who are viewing this thread