Rear Brakes!

Awt2

Established Member
Quick question

I was doing rear brakes on my cobra today, and I turned the piston in as far as I could get it. The pads went on, and everything looks alright. I just fear I did not turn the piston in far enough. should I tear it back apart and make sure the piston is 100% turned in? Or will I be able to drive it like this?

Right now, the pads are hitting the rotor and I am unable to turn the rotor How-ever, once I start the car and hit the brake pedal, will this bring the piston back and free that up?

98fourvalve

Established Member
If you got the pads installed then you are good to go. Drive it some and they should seat no problem.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The rotor will only move a smidge back and forth due to the differential. As long as it moves you are good. I have always redone them if the rotors wouldn't move at all. Although if you are positive that the piston is turned all the way in, I'm not sure what to suggest.

FWIW, I have had the brakes put back together but the rotor couldn't turn. I figured I'd drive it and see and not more than a few miles down the road they were smoking real bad. I aborted the drive home and parked in a random parking lot till I could go rent the tool.

Did you use the tool that can be rented from Advance Auto? If you tried any other way, go rent the tool.

Last edited:

Awt2

Established Member
The rotor will only move a smidge back and forth due to the differential. As long as it moves you are good. I have always redone them if the rotors wouldn't move at all. Although if you are positive that the piston is turned all the way in, I'm not sure what to suggest.

FWIW, I have had the brakes put back together but the rotor couldn't turn. I figured I'd drive it and see and not more than a few miles down the road they were smoking real bad. I aborted the drive home and parked in a random parking lot till I could go rent the tool.

Did you use the tool that can be rented from Advance Auto? If you tried any other way, go rent the tool.

I actually work at Advance Auto, I borowed the tool and I turned it as much as I could with it.

98fourvalve

Established Member
Go drive it. My last pad change on the back on my gt was the same as yours. It's been fine. Like I said, as long as the pads got installed and the caliper is not messed up you should be fine. Go seat the pads and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread