Rear brakes?

Bruno

Established Member
I own a 91 GT 5.0 and the damn thing came with drum brakes on the rear. I rather not put down $600 on a conversion kit to get a new set of discs on the back. Does anyone of any problems I might run into if I were to get the rear disc brake assembly from a salvage yard and install them? Would brake pressure be different to a drum then to a disc? :-?
-Thanks in advance.

wheelspin

Established Member
There is a guy that makes brackets to mount a Caddilac rear brake caliper to the rear of a Stang using either Tbird 4 hole discs, or Lincoln 5 holers. You can find them on Ebay for like $75 a pair. The calipers can be had for like $20 each at an online slavage joint. Get new rotors from your local parts house. I have this setup, and am waiting for some free time to install it. It's a pretty decent setup for Cheap.

Bruno

Established Member
:ud: sweet... thank you for the post. Have you heard from anyone who has used this method? Are they happy with their results?
-thanks

wheelspin

Established Member
There were several guys on the Corral that went through with it, and it worked [retty slick for them. I have most of the pieces now, and should get this wrapped up over the winter. I'll chime in when I get around to putting it all together... :)
Here's some of the info I have used:
5 Lug axles:
To keep the stock rear wheel offset, the '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86/'97 Aerostar right side axles (29-5/32") is what you want. They are the same rear axles, the center section is just on the opposite side when you compare the rear ends. You will need the drums from either of these vehicles also if you are staying with rear 9" drums. The 7.5 axle Rangers & Aerostars use 9" drums. These parts are directreplacements for the stock 9" rear drums on the 87-93 5.0Ls.

Rear brakes:
Here is what I have done for the rear: I bought some custom rear brackets that use the Ford ThunderBird 87-88 rear rotors, 10" vented 4lug units, and Cadillac rear calipers from a 85 Seville. These calipers have built in parking brakes in them and are readily available in junkyards. You can also get brackets that use the Lincoln 5 lug 11" rear disc and the same calipers from SteelTechSoutions Inc. You will need the Ranger/Aerostar axles to make the 5 lug brackets work.

Here is the parts list and prices:

-Custom rear brackets $75
-TC rear Rotors $55/pair through Carparts.com with coupons
-Rear calipers from 85 Cadillac with all lines, springs, pins, etc: $70 for the pair from a junkyard. The casting numbers on the calipers are 020 and 021. This is an easy way to determine if they are the correct units.
-New Pads - $11
-FMS M-2450-A plug for the proportioning valve $10
-Adjustable proportioning valve $40
- 2- 3/16" couplers $1.80
- Brake fluid $5

Total cost: under $270!!!
The calipers will bolt directly to the bracket that I purchased. They have hard lines to them, no soft lines which will make pad changes harder, but I don't plan on doing them often. The 3/16" coupler will connect the Cady hard line to the stock Mustang hard line. You will need to bendthe brake lines a bit so that they meet up.

If you have got used calipers, you will a brake tool to recess the piston back into the bore. You can pick these up for around $10 at most parts stores and it uses a 3/8" extension and socket wrench. Alternatively, you can use a large pair of slip locks to turn the piston backinto the bore. Rear calipers with parking brakes do not just push backinto the bore like the fronts. They must be rotated back into place.

I am going to try first without an adjustable proportioning valve since I have heard from others that they have them full open and still have just enough pressure to the rears.

Other than that, a straight swap!

Here is Steeltechs email:
[email protected] <[email protected]>

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
i believe granada full 9 inch w/ disk brakes will fit if shortened

gottaM1

Bruno, Why do you want discs for the rear, 80% of your stopping power is in the front brakes, unless you are going to do a lot of road course racing, it is a waste of money that you could put in the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread